Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I completed my BTEC course a year ago and have had no contact with the college since. I finally feel ready to apply to university but i somehow need to get a reference. I've tried contacting one of my old tutors via e-mail to see if he would be willing to write one for me. Unfortunately it's been over a week and he is yet to reply.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for me to do at this stage? :s am i able to ask the college in general for a reference? Thanks to all who reply!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    Hi there

I completed my BTEC course a year ago and have had no contact with the college since. I finally feel ready to apply to university but i somehow need to get a reference. I've tried contacting one of my old tutors via e-mail to see if he would be willing to write one for me. Unfortunately it's been over a week and he is yet to reply.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for me to do at this stage? :s am i able to ask the college in general for a reference? Thanks to all who reply!
    Yes

I would suggest you ring up to ask them how they recommend you request it. They’ll let you know who to email

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Schools and colleges usually still want to help you even after 1-2 years after leaving. Call them up, that might be more effective than emailing, or you could even go in.
    It may be best to do it quite soon because most colleges set their false UCAS deadline for early December so they'll be busy writing everyone else's then 😊😊

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys i'll ring them up today! <3 It was a bit spooky because i just had a random A-level certificate come from my door this morning from them lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys i'll ring them up today! <3 It was a bit spooky because i just had a random A-level certificate come from my door this morning from them lol
    They might not be open on the weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They might not be open on the weekend
    ahh yeah i realised that earlier after i posed! >_< i feel a bit derpy now lol...will try them on monday

ReputationRep:
    Update: I rang the college and got their buzzword for UCAS. I've since sent them a request for a reference and now have the little message "Your centre has not yet made a decision. As soon as your centre makes a decision, it will be displayed here."

Do i need to do anything else like contact my tutors at college since they won't be expecting this request. I'm afraid they might not realise I've sent one. Or do i just wait for now? Thanks for any help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Update: I rang the college and got their buzzword for UCAS. I've since sent them a request for a reference and now have the little message "Your centre has not yet made a decision. As soon as your centre makes a decision, it will be displayed here."

Do i need to do anything else like contact my tutors at college since they won't be expecting this request. I'm afraid they might not realise I've sent one. Or do i just wait for now? Thanks for any help!
    You could ring again to let them know you have sent it and ask roughly how long they expect it to take for them to do the reference.

They will have other references to do for their current students so it might take a while - asking for a rough timescale is reasonable

ReputationRep:
    Little update: I did what PQ suggested and managed to get back in touch with the college by e-mailing student services (because it was too late to ring). I just explained the situation to them and asked how would they advise i get in contact with my former tutors. Today i heard back from one of the tutors and we got things figured out! Not sure when to expect the reference but i'm just glad it's on their radar now.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice <3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.