Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to send off my UCAS application form for a social work degree at a number of universities. I'm just wondering if I should also be applying for a back up course in case I don't get in. I was told by my college tutor (I'm currently doing an access course) not to because it makes me look flippant as thoughtI'm not sure what course I want to do. This makes sense but if I didn't get the grades I need for social work then what? If I apply for a back up with less points requirements, then surely that gives me more options?

Cheers.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkesr)
    I'm about to send off my UCAS application form for a social work degree at a number of universities. I'm just wondering if I should also be applying for a back up course in case I don't get in. I was told by my college tutor (I'm currently doing an access course) not to because it makes me look flippant as thoughtI'm not sure what course I want to do. This makes sense but if I didn't get the grades I need for social work then what? If I apply for a back up with less points requirements, then surely that gives me more options?

Cheers.
    If you went for five choices and didnt get into any, then ucas extra would be available to you. you could pick a foundation year as your fifth choice so that you have a back up that way.

ReputationRep:
    The other Universities cannot see where else you have applied so another (related) choice wouldn't look 'flippant' at all.

Go for related subject which could still lead you into the same career area and would still tie-in with the themes in your PS.
    Something like Childhood Studies at Bristol : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...bsc-childhood/
    or Social Policy & Practice at Brighton https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...-bsc-hons.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses.

My personal statement is specifically aimed at social work, so if say I just tweak it so it relates to the social field in general I could then apply for a back up in say social policy and practice etc?

I may pick a foundation as a fifth in that case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.