The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE application without science GCSE

Hey! I’m hoping to apply for the primary PGCE at Cardiff Met. I’m a mature student & I wasn’t great in school! I have a D in GCSE science but I have done an access to life and biological science which is A level equivalent and my degree is in human biology. Would I still need the science GCSE?

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
I wouldn't have thought so with A level standard and degree too but ring admissions for your course if unsure! 😊
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was thinking but when I went to apply yesterday there was a check list for math, English & science GCSEs in a C & I was worried if I ticked no they wouldn’t even look at my application to see I had science at higher levels 😬
Original post by Olliejay10
Hey! I’m hoping to apply for the primary PGCE at Cardiff Met. I’m a mature student & I wasn’t great in school! I have a D in GCSE science but I have done an access to life and biological science which is A level equivalent and my degree is in human biology. Would I still need the science GCSE?

Thanks for any help!

Email them and ask. They might require you to take an equivalency exam. If they do require an equivalency exam, they'd likely make you an offer conditional on you passing it (along with the standard other conditions, such as passing your degree and doing a DBS check).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Email them and ask. They might require you to take an equivalency exam, see: http://www.educateteachertraining.co.uk/gcse-equivalence/. If they do require an equivalency exam, they'd likely make you an offer conditional on you passing it (along with the standard other conditions, such as passing your degree and doing a DBS check).

Thanks. I have emailed them I’m waiting for a reply, I was just wondering if anyone knew as I was hoping to submit my application this weekend. I already have my degree. I completed my math GCSE equivalency testing last week as they said my application would not be looked at without at least a C in maths so I know a conditional offer wouldn’t be made if I did need the GCSE.
Reply 5
Hi Olliejay10, did you submit your application or do you still need advice about this?I have just been offered a place at Sheffield Hallam
Original post by Mel0105
Hi Olliejay10, did you submit your application or do you still need advice about this?I have just been offered a place at Sheffield Hallam

Hi there, I'm going to apply to Hallam uni, and I know they accept credits from an access course. I have 18 level 3 credits in biology. How was the interview? What did they ask you?
Reply 7
Original post by Zonyali123
Hi there, I'm going to apply to Hallam uni, and I know they accept credits from an access course. I have 18 level 3 credits in biology. How was the interview? What did they ask you?

It was quite good actually. The day consisted of an introduction, 20 minute maths task, 20 minute English task, 5 minute teaching task and an individual interview. In the individual interview they ask you questions around your experience, degree/ previous course and reasons for becoming a teacher.
Original post by Mel0105
It was quite good actually. The day consisted of an introduction, 20 minute maths task, 20 minute English task, 5 minute teaching task and an individual interview. In the individual interview they ask you questions around your experience, degree/ previous course and reasons for becoming a teacher.

That sounds good. Are the maths and English tests about GCSE level?

Quick Reply

Latest