Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I am doing my GCSEs at the moment. Although I'm predicted 8s and 9s, I genuinely could not work harder and I'm struggling a bit in class. Basically, I don't think I'll be able to get that in the majority of my subjects. However, my parents expect me to get all 9s (I'm not kidding they'd be very 'disappointed' if I don't) - and my brother has nearly finished a maths degree and he's got an amazing job lined up after in what he's always wanted to do, and my sister is studying medicine at Cambridge... I have no idea what I want to do in my future, and I just want to be able to do my best without having to live up to full A*s at A level and GCSE etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I see that you feel a lot of pressure to perform really well, but I’m wondering if you do it for yourself or for all the people around you. When you think you do it for yourself, and your own goal is get those grades, the only thing you can do is work hard and maybe in a different way than you do right now. Maybe write your summaries instead of typing them, ask more questions in class, discuss the stuff you have to know with classmates... just switch up your way of learning and I think that it will become more interesting and it probably will me more effective.

If you think you do it for others, maybe it’s a good idea if you take some time with yourself (could be a day, could be two hours) during the weekend or something. The cause of your lacking behind could possibly be found in the lack of internal motivation. Is there something you really want to achieve? This doesn’t have to be long term, like having a good paying job when you’re 30, but for example: having a good feeling about yourself and school at Christmas.

The reason I say this, is because although the hard facts about grades are important, how you feel about the grades and yourself is way more important.

(If the main motivation comes from your parents, maybe have an honest conversation with them sometime. Talk about how you feel and that you think the pressure they put on you is too much. You can also ask for extra private lessons or other help for the subjects you feel you are falling behind)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensorcell)
    Ok, so I am doing my GCSEs at the moment. Although I'm predicted 8s and 9s, I genuinely could not work harder and I'm struggling a bit in class. Basically, I don't think I'll be able to get that in the majority of my subjects. However, my parents expect me to get all 9s (I'm not kidding they'd be very 'disappointed' if I don't) - and my brother has nearly finished a maths degree and he's got an amazing job lined up after in what he's always wanted to do, and my sister is studying medicine at Cambridge... I have no idea what I want to do in my future, and I just want to be able to do my best without having to live up to full A*s at A level and GCSE etc
    don’t worry, i struggle with motivation too and i want to prove myself to my extended family as all of them are very clever (most of my cousins got all A*’s, one of them has been best in year at cambridge for the past few years and two of them are doing medicine)

what year are you?
    you shouldn’t feel pressured to decide what you want to do in the future just yet, but pick your a levels so that they open doors for you and don’t shut away opportunities you might end up seeking...

i’m also struggling at the moment (with similar expectations to you) but since i’m at the start of my course i’m hoping time will put it right - obviously for you it depends what year you are in??

i’m sorry you’re in this position but hopefully everything will put itself right!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.