Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a final year and considering Oxford deanery. Just curious about the hospitals outside of Oxford, such as Stoke Mandeville and Wexham Park, are like? Because it seems like most jobs have a year outside of Oxford, where do F1s live if working there?

South Thames is my next option. Any opinions about what the deanery is like?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chromni)
    Hi, I am a final year and considering Oxford deanery. Just curious about the hospitals outside of Oxford, such as Stoke Mandeville and Wexham Park, are like? Because it seems like most jobs have a year outside of Oxford, where do F1s live if working there?

South Thames is my next option. Any opinions about what the deanery is like?
    Thanks!
    I'm a higher trainee in Oxford deanery, so things may be different for FY docs, but here's my 2p:

Stoke Mandeville is part of Bucks Healthcare Trust, which also runs Wycombe hospital. A lot of jobs are split across both sites, which is a bit of a pain in the arse for commuting. Stoke is the "hot" site with most of the acute medical specialties (except cardiology and stroke :s: ), the proper A&E (Wycombe has an UCC), paeds, all emergency surgery, plastics, burns, labour ward plus the National Spinal Injuries Centre (yay for Paralympics, don't mention Jimmy Savile ). Wycombe is predominantly for elective surgical cases plus cardiology and stroke, as well as quite a few outpatient clinics, though this is less relevant for foundation trainees. Overall I like it as a trust, they're very supportive and enthusiastic about teaching and the hospitals are decent-sized but not so huge you get lost all the time.

Milton Keynes has a bad rep both as a town and a hospital, but I had a good year there. Very busy, relatively under-resourced as the town is growing faster than the hospital's capacity, but a decent doctors' mess within the main hospital building and I felt very supported, though I know that not all departments were as good as mine!

I've never worked at Royal Berks or Wexham, though I know others on here have. RBH has a decent reputation, Wexham...less so.

As for where to live, there are lots of options. Quite a few live in Oxford and commute out to placements, though that can be quite far. Oxford is very expensive even when renting, probably close to London prices. Thame is popular with more senior docs who are permanently in the region. I live in MK but am one of the only trainees who does!

I also coincidentally did my foundation and core training in South Thames. Firstly, it's a BIG area, and you will only be in London for one year. Lots of big fancy teaching hospitals, lots of DGHs both within London and out in the countryside/on the coast. Cost of living obviously higher within London but at least you can use public transport for a lot of your commuting. Going to some gritty inner city DGHs was a bit of a culture shock after Cambridge life, but I learned a lot and overall had a good experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm a higher trainee in Oxford deanery, so things may be different for FY docs, but here's my 2p:

Stoke Mandeville is part of Bucks Healthcare Trust, which also runs Wycombe hospital. A lot of jobs are split across both sites, which is a bit of a pain in the arse for commuting. Stoke is the "hot" site with most of the acute medical specialties (except cardiology and stroke :s: ), the proper A&E (Wycombe has an UCC), paeds, all emergency surgery, plastics, burns, labour ward plus the National Spinal Injuries Centre (yay for Paralympics, don't mention Jimmy Savile ). Wycombe is predominantly for elective surgical cases plus cardiology and stroke, as well as quite a few outpatient clinics, though this is less relevant for foundation trainees. Overall I like it as a trust, they're very supportive and enthusiastic about teaching and the hospitals are decent-sized but not so huge you get lost all the time.

Milton Keynes has a bad rep both as a town and a hospital, but I had a good year there. Very busy, relatively under-resourced as the town is growing faster than the hospital's capacity, but a decent doctors' mess within the main hospital building and I felt very supported, though I know that not all departments were as good as mine!

I've never worked at Royal Berks or Wexham, though I know others on here have. RBH has a decent reputation, Wexham...less so.

As for where to live, there are lots of options. Quite a few live in Oxford and commute out to placements, though that can be quite far. Oxford is very expensive even when renting, probably close to London prices. Thame is popular with more senior docs who are permanently in the region. I live in MK but am one of the only trainees who does!

I also coincidentally did my foundation and core training in South Thames. Firstly, it's a BIG area, and you will only be in London for one year. Lots of big fancy teaching hospitals, lots of DGHs both within London and out in the countryside/on the coast. Cost of living obviously higher within London but at least you can use public transport for a lot of your commuting. Going to some gritty inner city DGHs was a bit of a culture shock after Cambridge life, but I learned a lot and overall had a good experience.
    Thanks very much! How expensive is living in Kent and Surrey in relation to London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chromni)
    Thanks very much! How expensive is living in Kent and Surrey in relation to London?
    Don't know any figures I'm afraid. Probably more expensive than the rest of the country but cheaper than central London. East Kent hospitals used to have free accommodation for FY1s but that may no longer be the case.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have worked at both RBH and WPH.

Royal berks is a good hospital. The out of hours on call systems deserve particular praise, including the absolutely amazing nurse practitioners who were amazing at cannulas, could do ABGs, femoral stabs etc as well as their core job of assessing the acutely unwell - such as lifesaver for FY1s. The mess was very active indeed. I lived in Oxford whilst i was there so can't comment on the town much. It seems dead compared to Oxford despite being much larger but that might just be me not knowing it very well.

I actually enjoyed Wexham a lot more though due to being given a lot more responsibility and freedom, partly due to being an 'SHO' and partly due to Wexham. Wexham struggles to recruit and as such i think you have a relatively high proportion of really quite bad doctors. Mainly the non-training non-rotating staff clearly i.e. consultants and clinical fellows. My gf disagrees though and thinks it was about the same as you get everywhere. The nurses were largely european and as such were great - European training is longer and nurses are expected to be a lot more independent there. Not sure how this will change post-Brexit. Slough is not as bad as its reputation - the city centre is... fine. Has all the same chain stores that every other town centre has. Most doctors, however, live in Windsor which is a lot nicer (and pricier). I lived right by the hospital itself so had a 10 minute walking commute which might also factor into why i enjoyed it more, who knows.

Happy to elaborate if desired.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for hijackig the thread, but does anyone know what the chances are of applying to South Thames and not getting a London place (if you get in)? I mainly ask because I want to avoid London at all costs, but I am very interested in the Kent/Surrey area.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.