Turn on thread page Beta

Surviving first year of medical school watch

ReputationRep:

Welcome one and all to this year's GYG
    (last year's GYG)

A little about me:
    I am a first-year medical student at QUB. If you have any questions about being a medical student or life in Belfast, hmu and I'll be glad to help.

University is unbelievably different to being in school, so my goals will be quite different to what they used to be for my A Levels. GYG is more than a study technique for me, it has become a way for me to document my student years, so expect some reflection and some ranting.

A key challenge for me will be to maintain a work/life balance so my goals will likely stretch beyond the academic.

The way I'm thinking of working this is setting myself goals for the day/week, and then changing their colour as the goals are completed. Then maybe I'll write a paragraph about my progress if I feel up to it. Just gonna wing this so if its a bit messy, bare with me.

Past academics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A levels:
    Biology - A*
    Psychology - A*
    Chemistry - A

GCSEs:
    8A* 2A

ReputationRep:
    Long term goals
    PODT:
    Make notes on all of the lectures so far

Microanatomy:
    Make notes on all lectures so far

Gross Anatomy:
    Use flashcards to learn all of the upper limb

Personal and Professional development:
    Do all the IHI modules

Statistics:
    Finish group project.

Ethics:

Physiology:

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine at Cambridge in the future so this will help me get an insight of a first year medical student! Loving it so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    I want to study medicine at Cambridge in the future so this will help me get an insight of a first year medical student! Loving it so far!
    Thank you! any questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Np! What did you do for your work experience? Im in yr 10 and wanted some ideas

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I want to study medicine at Imperial College London. I was wondering if you know if a lot of universities look at your GCSE results. For example, do you know if your university looked for amazing GCSE results (like yours)

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    Np! What did you do for your work experience? Im in yr 10 and wanted some ideas
    I spent a day with my GP, and had a week in my city's big hospital in a range of wards from CF to colorectal. Apart from that I have been volunteering at a nursing home since I started my GCSEs, was part of my local vulnerable adults watch programme and did loads of extra-curriculars half of which i honestly cannot even remember anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie-3)
    I spent a day with my GP, and had a week in my city's big hospital in a range of wards from CF to colorectal. Apart from that I have been volunteering at a nursing home since I started my GCSEs, was part of my local vulnerable adults watch programme and did loads of extra-curriculars half of which i honestly cannot even remember anymore.
    That must have been amazing! Thank You xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuttyPancake1234)
    Hello!

I want to study medicine at Imperial College London. I was wondering if you know if a lot of universities look at your GCSE results. For example, do you know if your university looked for amazing GCSE results (like yours)

Thanks x
    Hi! There is no short way to answer your question. Every single med school in the country selects from applicants in different ways. The single biggest advice I would give to anyone looking to get into med school is to apply smart. With enough research you can find out exactly how each uni selects applicants for interview. Use this information and apply to your strengths. If you have a look at the ICL website, I'm sure it will state somewhere how much importance they place on GCSEs. Use this golden resource. You have 4 spaces that you can apply to - use 1 of these for your dream university, but for the rest apply where you are most likely to get interviews. In the end, you'll be a doctor no matter where you study so just make getting in your priority.

ReputationRep:
    How did you range to spend at day with your local GP?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! There is no short way to answer your question. Every single med school in the country selects from applicants in different ways. The single biggest advice I would give to anyone looking to get into med school is to apply smart. With enough research you can find out exactly how each uni selects applicants for interview. Use this information and apply to your strengths. If you have a look at the ICL website, I'm sure it will state somewhere how much importance they place on GCSEs. Use this golden resource. You have 4 spaces that you can apply to - use 1 of these for your dream university, but for the rest apply where you are most likely to get interviews. In the end, you'll be a doctor no matter where you study so just make getting in your priority.
    Thank you so much! This is such great advice.

I am currently in year 12. From what you can remember, how did you do in your A level mocks? Were you upset?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be watching this thread . As an aspiring medic (Yr 12), this thread will give me some insight into med school and it'll be great to follow your journey through it all.
    How are you finding it all so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannit2)
    How did you range to spend at day with your local GP?
    Honestly, I just asked. My own GP is infamous for not taking students in, so I went with my mum to her appointment and at the end I just asked him if he could take me in some day. He was lovely and said yes, but I did have to do lots of arrangement with his secretary. You'll have to forgive any doctor making the arrangement side of getting placements difficult because its such a hassle for them, but if any doctor ever says yes to taking you in, do not let that go. Be shameless. Be like a dog with a bone. It's so worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and one more thing about getting work experience. The more direct you are when asking, the more likely you are to get a placement. If you email them, it's easy to ignore an email. If you talk to their secretary, again it's easy to dismiss a message. talking to them on the phone makes it harder for them to say no. Face to face is even harder. Just put yourself in their shoes, what circumstances would make it hard for you to say no to someone's request?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! This is such great advice.

I am currently in year 12. From what you can remember, how did you do in your A level mocks? Were you upset?

Thanks.
    I honestly don't remember my AS mocks that well, it seems like a long time ago. From what I remember though I did struggle more with my A2 mocks and this is what made me drop from 4 a levels to 3 a levels. i figured that if i couldnt handle 4 subjects in the winter, I didn't want that to be my downfall in the summer when it mattered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    I'll be watching this thread . As an aspiring medic (Yr 12), this thread will give me some insight into med school and it'll be great to follow your journey through it all.
    How are you finding it all so far?
    All the best for getting in! It is unreal tbh. I mean, I could try and describe how the whole experience has been, but I don't think I'd be able to convey it. It's super intense. I'm only 7 weeks in and I can already see how it has started to becoe a huge part of who I am. I can't imagine how it's going to change me in the years to come.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say it's worth all of the intensity and stress?

people keep telling me that I am not being realistic with my future career and that its too intense.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say it's worth all of the intensity and stress?

people keep telling me that I am not being realistic with my future career and that its too intense.
    I won't lie to you, t's been tough. I'm still finding my feet and there are many many moments when I question if I made the right choice to do medicine. You just have to keep pushing through I think. If you are highly motivated as a pre-med, then go for it. But if you're coming in with doubts, I feel like you will carry these doubts with you and they will only burn through you when the going gets tough. There are times that I'm loving life, and others when I've been in tears. I can't tell you if its worth it just yet, but when I've decided I'll get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    11/11/17
    - Read Chapters 3, 13 and 14 of Essential Cell Biology
    - Read Langman's, Chapters 2 & 3
    - Read Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore, Chapter 6

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I applied to QUB in October, any tips on interview there if I get invited?
    Do they emphasize on something in particular?

also I thought they require an AAAa, from what I gather, you said you dropped one subject; how did that workout?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.