Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Surviving first year of medical school Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you have any revision tips for chemistry and psychology a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notoo)
    Hey man, I applied to QUB in October, any tips on interview there if I get invited?
    Do they emphasize on something in particular?

also I thought they require an AAAa, from what I gather, you said you dropped one subject; how did that workout?
    QUB interviews are an experience of their own. They are heavily role-play compared to others so make sure you get comfortable with acting. a way to do that might be to act in front of a mirror? Other than that the questions can seem really wacky and random so there's nothing I would say you need to have done. If you have the time and energy, read up on good medical practice by the GMC coz that'll help you with more than just this interview. Personally, I didn't though so I feel like a hypocrite telling you to. I did take maths to AS, and dropped it at christmas time of A2 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiLab)
    Hey do you have any revision tips for chemistry and psychology a level?
    For chemistry, I can't tell you how I got that A. Truly a miracle, hated that subject with a passion. One thing I will say though is that past papers are magical. I was not a past papers kind of person, but I placed my faith in them and they came through for me.
    For psychology, the main trouble is the content isn't it. There's so much to know. One tip, don't us that as an excuse to learn half the content. The examiners don't care that you have 3 exams in one day, they won't consider that a question appeared 2 years ago so you'll be learning the obscure question. LEARN THAT ****. I personally resat psychology to get it up from a B to an A* so unless you're willing to set aside a whole year for the subject, my experience will be meaningless but I spent until christmas doing notes on all of the modules. I basically wrote myself a textbook. Then I learnt that textbook. every essay, I learnt like a speech. That way in the exam I wasn't even thinking about what I wrote, and got 90+% (ooh excpet for research methods, coz for that it was past papers all the way, and only that).

ReputationRep:
    How did you do in your A levels overall? In terms of grades

ReputationRep:
    HEY! a few questions about QUB medicine in particular if you dont mind, How's the course, do you feel like you are learning enough? I'm applying to medicine at QUB as a graduate in engineering from UCL are there many graduates on the course? What is the diversity like.... are there many different people from various ethnic origins? I'm from England and have all sorts of worries about goinh to belfast Hopefully you can help me make a more informed decision though! Thank you! I apologise for a long post loving the thread btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuttyPancake1234)
    How did you do in your A levels overall? In terms of grades
    it's in the previous academics box in the OP

(Original post by BlueBro97)
    HEY! a few questions about QUB medicine in particular if you dont mind, How's the course, do you feel like you are learning enough? I'm applying to medicine at QUB as a graduate in engineering from UCL are there many graduates on the course? What is the diversity like.... are there many different people from various ethnic origins? I'm from England and have all sorts of worries about goinh to belfast Hopefully you can help me make a more informed decision though! Thank you! I apologise for a long post loving the thread btw
    Hey I definitely feel like I'm learning enough. Coming out of classrrom teaching habit, lectures feel like a constant bombardment of information. And considering how many hours of class we have in a week, yeah. Definitely it's a fast pace. There are many graduates here (i think about 30% of the year group?) someone told me that after oxbridge and the london unis we have the highest rates of graduates or something crazy like that. I think the high numbers of grads can sometimes be a detriment to the school leavers because we know nothing compared to you guys and that can be quite scary. it can feel ike the teaching is at your level and we have to catch up on years of knowledge.
    the year group is quite diverse ethnically too and you will definitely find people in your shoes. After London, Belfast can seem like a small place (my english friends tell me that belfast is a big town compared to manchester or birmingham) but that has its own perks like being able to walk everywhere and the close-knit community feel.
    Its a big decision and if i can help make it easier for you then i'll be glad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.