Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year at uni, and i'm really struggling (crying everyday, feeling really alone). I have OCD anxiety and depression so its quite difficult anyway never mind uni! I get on with flatmates and people on my course but i just feel like i try so much and don't get much out of it, like i feel so weak and quiet and im just trying so much to fit in and to be myself (it makes it hard to talk to people and be myself sometimes!!) I also feel like i have the pressing matter of sorting out houses for next year and i feel like i am going to be left out because im too quiet and my worst fear is being alone. I would ask people but i have a massive fear of rejection and i don't really know anyone THAT well yet to decide
    Sorry for the rambling im just really struggling and don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same boat as you when I was at this stage of first year last year.

In regards to housing, literally just ask. It is very unlikely you will be rejected. People are nice and probably won't just turn you away. If worst comes to the worst, look for a studio flat. I wish I had gotten a studio flat for this year and I'm moving into one for third year bc I'm a very tidy person who also has anxiety and depression and I hated sharing a kitchen with people. You just do what you think is best for you. It is best to start looking early for housing but if you can't straight away do not panic. I know lots of people who didn't decide on a house until February or March.

Just try not to worry so much. I know it's easier said than done but you WILL get through it. I managed to and I'm fine now. It's just daunting. Just remember that nobody knows you at uni and will be more than happy to chat to you. Uni isn't like high school, people are adults and mature, they don't judge you in the same way and are a lot kinder. They will talk to you. Just straight up ask to hang out with them. I did and that's how I made my friends. Nobody is going to think you're weird for being blunt. We're all adults here.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.