Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 16 years old and aspiring to be a Veterinary Surgeon. I know this is a competitive field and I've asked a friend and she said to start applying for work experience now with a CV. What should I include with my CV? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Clubs you have been part of e.g. scouts , sports , anything
    Gcse results or if you are predicted mostly A’s etc
    Skills you have e.g. communication, literacy , numeracy, teamwork
    Any certificates or awards you may have e.g. heartstart , duke of edinburgh
    Hobbies and what you don in your spare time
    Contact details and 1 or 2 references
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily need a CV to start applying for work experience, considering you are quite young. I don't imagine a CV would tell them that much, unless you had a lot of work experience. I would start off writing a letter to your local vets asking if they would let you do work experience/shadowing for a week or so. Tell them a little about yourself, why you want to get work experience there, what are you studying and what you hope to get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think a CV is a good idea when applying for work experience. You can find templates online that will help you and give you a starting point. I suggest the main section to concentrate on is your education. No one is going to expect you to have had a job yet. I would be looking at if you were doing the right subjects at school to do veterinary medicine and if you have sat exams if you have the required results so far. There is a lot of competition for work experience places and you are more likely to get a placement if you look as though you will be in a position to apply for vet med when the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    Not to say that a CV is the wrong way to go about things, it can present yourself in a professional manner of that there is no doubt. But many veterinary practices are inundated with work experience requests, be that from vet and nurse students, applicants and people forced to choose a work experience placement by their school. You can make a far better impression by going in person or phoning them up then you are actually having a direct dialogue - this is also harder to say no to!
    Don't be disheartened if you don't instantly make progress gaining work experience can be a tedious process. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much everyone 😊 I’ve made the decision to not write/start a CV yet as I’m currently doing my GCSE’s and I want my revision to be my main focus, but thank you all for the help ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.