Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for this scholarship but I have no prior experience of flying (or even engineering as I'm an aspiring medic). I used to be in the Air Cadets for a little while but left due to other reasons.

All the threads I have found for the Air League scholarships are from years ago, so just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of this? Especially the aptitude tests at Cranwell?

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of threads about the aptitude tests on here.

I wouldn’t have thought previous flying experience is a prerequisite for the scholarship as it is 12 hours to take you to first solo standard.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nautic4l)
    I'm planning on applying for this scholarship but I have no prior experience of flying (or even engineering as I'm an aspiring medic). I used to be in the Air Cadets for a little while but left due to other reasons.

All the threads I have found for the Air League scholarships are from years ago, so just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of this? Especially the aptitude tests at Cranwell?
    The aptitude tests are the aptitude tests, there are notes about them all over here. The scholarships are pretty competitive, and you'll have to show a real interest in learning to fly. Not everyone who wins one is an Air Cadet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The aptitude tests are the aptitude tests, there are notes about them all over here. The scholarships are pretty competitive, and you'll have to show a real interest in learning to fly. Not everyone who wins one is an Air Cadet.
    (Original post by NFI)
    There are plenty of threads about the aptitude tests on here.

I wouldn’t have thought previous flying experience is a prerequisite for the scholarship as it is 12 hours to take you to first solo standard.
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but I can't find anything about the Air League aptitude tests? Or do you mean they are the same as RAF Pilot OASC? Because obviously there's plenty of such threads on here.

I'm glad to hear not everyone is an Air Cadet, I am actually in my final year of university. Are you both speaking from experience of this scholarship?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but I can't find anything about the Air League aptitude tests? Or do you mean they are the same as RAF Pilot OASC? Because obviously there's plenty of such threads on here.

I'm glad to hear not everyone is an Air Cadet, I am actually in my final year of university. Are you both speaking from experience of this scholarship?
    I'm speaking from experience, but not what you'd call recent experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I'm speaking from experience, but not what you'd call recent experience!
    Haha fair enough, how un-recent is this?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Haha fair enough, how un-recent is this?
    I was trying to work that out, maybe 1984?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Ignore the bits about scores, but the tests are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Yes.

Ignore the bits about scores, but the tests are the same.
    Hmm so there won’t be a cut off? It must be quite intense to do a pilot OASC for a scholarship but fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm so there won’t be a cut off? It must be quite intense to do a pilot OASC for a scholarship but fair enough!
    Any cut off is irrelevant. They're looking for the best people to sponsor, so soon to go there and ace it.

A cutoff is pointless, you wouldn't be aiming to go down and *just* meet the minimum standard, would you?

And I meant it more in the sense that the scores and requirements they have may well be different to the RAF's. After all, the RN use Cranwell for their FATs, but have their own system.

Just don't get caught up on details that won't help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Any cut off is irrelevant. They're looking for the best people to sponsor, so soon to go there and ace it.

A cutoff is pointless, you wouldn't be aiming to go down and *just* meet the minimum standard, would you?

And I meant it more in the sense that the scores and requirements they have may well be different to the RAF's. After all, the RN use Cranwell for their FATs, but have their own system.

Just don't get caught up on details that won't help you.
    It’s not about getting caught up in details, it’s about getting a feel for what to expect. I have no military background, and every medical exam I’ve ever done at uni and for uni has high-ish cut-offs and it helps to know what the max is, what kind of marks people get and how much better I can do. Of course, the aim is to do my best but they select me in comparison to others, so it helps to know how others do/cut-offs and do on.

Any info is helpful. No one wants to aim for the “cut-off” because that doesn’t help when aiming to do your best but it’s not really a detail that would hinder me in any way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.