Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have previously completed a level 3 diploma in carpentery and joinery and following that a foundation degree. I pulled out of my 3rd year top up after realising that subject wasn’t for me. I am wanting a career change and to get into engineering. could anyone advise on the best route to follow? Would I be able to get funding to complete an engineering course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedface)
    I have previously completed a level 3 diploma in carpentery and joinery and following that a foundation degree. I pulled out of my 3rd year top up after realising that subject wasn’t for me. I am wanting a career change and to get into engineering. could anyone advise on the best route to follow? Would I be able to get funding to complete an engineering course?
    Foundation and top up degree in what? How long were you doing these or rather how many years of funding did you receive? Do you actually know what you have to do to get into engineering? I suspect you may need a degree in it but where can you start with the qualifications you already have? This is something to check with unis. Alternatively you may want to go down the apprenticeship route?

Smack may have more insight.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What qualifications do you currently have? You could look into apprenticeships or foundation courses (if you don't have A-levels in maths and physics).

ReputationRep:
    My foundation degree is in law and criminology, I have used 3 years finance after dropping out of the 3rd year because it really didn’t interest me anymore. I’ve Also got a level 3 diploma in carpentery and joinery, which has been my job for the past 5 years. But I want to get into engineering and I know nothing I have done is related but I’m not sure what level I would need to start at, whether it would need to be from the beginning all over again.

ReputationRep:
    My foundation degree is in law and criminology, I have used 3 years finance after dropping out of the 3rd year because it really didn’t interest me anymore. I’ve Also got a level 3 diploma in carpentery and joinery, which has been my job for the past 5 years. But I want to get into engineering and I know nothing I have done is related but I’m not sure what level I would need to start at, whether it would need to be from the beginning all over again.
    Unless you can fund your own degree the best option is to do a degree level apprenticeship in engineering imo (check what you need to get onto it before hand) plenty of companies offer these

Also what type of engineering do you want to go into?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.