Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sturdy Swifter's Journey to A*A*A (Maybe Impossible) Watch

ReputationRep:
    STURDY SWIFTER - JOURNEY TO A*A*A (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)

Introduction
    • Hi everybody. So since everybody was legit making these threads, I was like ‘might as well do it.’ (Even though it’s so late!)
    • So, I’m 16 years old and am in year 12.
    • I take AQA Psychology A, AQA English Literature A, AQA History, Edexcel Economics.
    • My main hobby is to think of interesting plots for novels and attempt (barely) to write them.
    • I am just so lazy and nihilistic about life but I want to change that (again MISSION IMPOSSIBLE).
    • I have a golden labrador retriever called Danny.
    • I played Keyboard up to Grade 6 (but gave it up because my tutor made me hate it so much).
    • I was very disappointed with my GCSE grades sadly. I told myself that it was not my fault but the family problems happening around me but I know that it was my fault and my lack of revision. I really want to change this attitude during my A Levels.
    • I have applied to UCL Uni-links and am waiting for the Sutton Trust Summer School.
    • I hope to get A*A*A even though it’s going to be very hard but what’s life with an aim in the future.

My confusion of life
    • Let me just state the fact that I am so INDECISIVE (I still want to change one of my subjects but it’s too late *sigh*.
    • I wanted to do law but now, I love economics so much and I want to do it at university but guess what, you need a-level maths for it.
    • That’s not bringing me down tho as I have found some similar degrees and some uni’s that don’t require it.
    • So, basically, I’ve got a lot of choice for my future so yeah.

My university and degree choices (so many)
    • Nottingham University - Economics
    • St Andrew’s University - Economics with management studies
    • Queen Mary University London - Accountancy and Finance
    • Queen Mary University London - Law with Business
    • Warwick University - Management
    • Warwick University - Law with Social sciences
    • University College London - Law
    • University College London - History
    • University College London - Social studies with quantitative methods.
    • Durham University - Economics with foundation year

How’s year 12 up to now?
    • Not that great.
    • So at the start, there were two history classes but one of them got cancelled for the most oblivious reason. I wanted to do both history and politics but since my original history class got cancelled, I had to choose between them since they both clashed in my timetable. I initially chose politics but I wasn’t really enjoying it and hated my teachers so I changed to history a month and a half later. Since I had to choose one, I had to pick another subject so I chose English Literature.
    • I hate English Literature so much. There is legit too much context and work and I’m having so much problem with it. Since I moved to a grammar school, I feel diminished as everyone is so much smarter than me and I feel like a failure. I really want to change English Literature to Maths but it’s too late now so I’m just gonna drop it when I can.
    • I’m kind of confused in history lessons as I’m quite new and I missed a lot but I’m kind of understanding. It’s just hard to differentiate writing essays in GCSE and in A-Levels. Why did I pick too many essay subjects?
    • Psychology is going so good for me. I’m just getting full marks all the time and I’m understanding it so much. It’s just a lot of content but I know I can manage.
    • And economics. I’m just so interested in economics as well as getting A* in the September exams.
    • I just need to work so much harder.

If you guys want to be tagged, just reply or PM me.

ReputationRep:
    11/11/2017 - A day of thoughts, disappointment and realisation

So, I just had my November mocks and man, did I do bad. I know it's my fault because I was regularly procrastinating and I tried to tell myself to stop and revise for these exams but I wasn't really motivated to. The fact that I go to a grammar school is even worse because there is a huge competitive nature and my secondary school was the complete opposite; I was like "Oh, I'm the smartest in my class again." And here I'm like "Wow. I'm doing so bad and everyone is so much better." I'm not regretting the fact that I go to a grammar school but it's just hard for me. I really need to work hard because I'm planning to apply to all these Russell Group universities and I can't do that without studying hard. But where is my motivation and determination? I just feel like entertainment relaxes me and studying just doesn't make me happy and I know that I have to do really good but I just don't feel in the mood. Even when I got most of my results back from my November mocks (Which I was so sad about), I still don't do enough. Let me just tell you my grades.

History: C - I mean it was pretty bad but like I had recently changed from Politics to History so I wasn't really aware understanding much but the topics that came up was what I had learned so I should've done well. Also, my teachers are not explaining to me how to analyse evidence (not sources but events) and I keep on asking them but I'm still not getting help.

Psychology: C - I was so disappointed by this. In my September test, I got A* (full marks). I would've got full marks in this but for the 12 mark question, I wrote about THE WRONG TOPIC so I got a 0 for that. And the 12 mark was the highest number of marks and there was only one of them. Psychology just had way too much content. I think I wrote the wrong essay because it was about stating Bowlby's theory but Bowlby wrote like four theories so I wrote the wrong one.

Economics: A* - I'm pleased with economics because I got a C on the September test. I revised more on this because I really enjoy this subject.

English Literature: Unknown - I'm gonna find out next Wednesday but I think I did alright but I am a bit scared because the questions were very vague and everyone else found it hard.

I was very disappointed with Psychology and History but the good news is that I know those are my weak subjects so I can improve on them. I'll do another status tomorrow about how much revision I've done. Now, I'm gonna start with simplifying the psychology notes and writing them in record cards.

RIP to the soldiers who risked their lives fighting in World War 1.

ReputationRep:
    And I've just realised that all my updates are so long so thank you so much for taking the time to read them.

Message if you want to be tagged!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Good luck with your blog and getting the grades you're aiming for! You can do it!

I completely understand how you feel about being indecisive. I'm almost 22 and I still find myself changing my mind all the time. Your university choices look interesting! Which do you think you are leaning more towards?

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying Lit, I studied it myself and got an A so if you need any advice I'm happy to help it's definitely overwhelming at times but once you get into the swing of things I think it becomes much easier.

Your mock grades are great! Don't worry about the marks you're feeling disappointed with, use it as motivation. And your economics grade is fantastic so that's enough to give you a confidence boost!

Tag me in your updates I'd love to see how you're getting on
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Hey! Good luck with your blog and getting the grades you're aiming for! You can do it!

I completely understand how you feel about being indecisive. I'm almost 22 and I still find myself changing my mind all the time. Your university choices look interesting! Which do you think you are leaning more towards?

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying Lit, I studied it myself and got an A so if you need any advice I'm happy to help it's definitely overwhelming at times but once you get into the swing of things I think it becomes much easier.

Your mock grades are great! Don't worry about the marks you're feeling disappointed with, use it as motivation. And your economics grade is fantastic so that's enough to give you a confidence boost!

Tag me in your updates I'd love to see how you're getting on

Hey. So, I used to want to do Law and that's why I chose all of my four subjects as essay subjects but i've recently just had an epiphany to want to do more on the economics side. I really want to go to Nottingham and do economics and even though the grade boundaries are AAA, I don't do A Level maths so I want a higher prediction so I'm not limited by that.

Thank you for offering to help me in English Literature (I might take you up on that ). I'm actually not sure about hating it anymore. I've improved actually (got 20/25 in my Othello essay for homework). It just seems like too much work with too much texts (especially when I have to do all the exams at the end of year 13 because of linear). I'll just see how it goes.

Thank you for your advice about motivation. I'll definitely tag you!

ReputationRep:
    12/11/17 (Part 1) - Will I ever change?

So, yesterday, I didn't do much work. My mum had a guest so I had to help her prepare and then went to the shower. I was just so tired yesterday that I literally slept, woke up, slept agin, woke up, slept again... You get the gist. So, I had an economics class this morning and did a little test (only got 1 wrong so well done me). However, the tutor kept on picking on me for question and I was just in my own word so I was like uhhh.... Now, I'm just watching Netflix to relax and I'm gonna start summarising my psychology notes. I'll give you an update tonight of how much I've done today. I'd love to hear about your day yesterday .

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tags (I'm still unsure how to properly tag here):

Changing Skies

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread! Tag me too! And if you don't mind, can you tell me what you got in your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)
    Nice thread! Tag me too! And if you don't mind, can you tell me what you got in your GCSEs?
    Hey. So my GCSE's were quite bad but I had some problems and again I procrastinated a lot.

English language - 6
    English Literature - 6
    Mathematics - 7
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - A
    Religious Studies - A*
    History - A
    French - A
    Business Studies - A
    Drama - B
    Statistics - A
    Higher Level Project (Half Course) - B

I'll definitely tag you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sturdy swifter)
    Hey. So my GCSE's were quite bad but I had some problems and again I procrastinated a lot.

English language - 6
    English Literature - 6
    Mathematics - 7
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - A
    Religious Studies - A*
    History - A
    French - A
    Business Studies - A
    Drama - B
    Statistics - A
    Higher Level Project (Half Course) - B

I'll definitely tag you!
    Your GCSE's aren't too bad actually! Well done for History and french! I only managed to get a B on both of those subjects :-(. But I mean those grades are actually ok and I still think unis will accept this depending on the course you are taking.

ReputationRep:
    True. Thanks. I saw your GCSE grades and they are actually really good. Plus your A Level subjects sound so hard. We both should be able to get our grades we desire.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    STURDY SWIFTER - JOURNEY TO A*A*A (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)

Introduction
    • Hi everybody. So since everybody was legit making these threads, I was like ‘might as well do it.’ (Even though it’s so late!)
    • So, I’m 16 years old and am in year 12.
    • I take AQA Psychology A, AQA English Literature A, AQA History, Edexcel Economics.
    • My main hobby is to think of interesting plots for novels and attempt (barely) to write them.
    • I am just so lazy and nihilistic about life but I want to change that (again MISSION IMPOSSIBLE).
    • I have a golden labrador retriever called Danny.
    • I played Keyboard up to Grade 6 (but gave it up because my tutor made me hate it so much).
    • I was very disappointed with my GCSE grades sadly. I told myself that it was not my fault but the family problems happening around me but I know that it was my fault and my lack of revision. I really want to change this attitude during my A Levels.
    • I have applied to UCL Uni-links and am waiting for the Sutton Trust Summer School.
    • I hope to get A*A*A even though it’s going to be very hard but what’s life with an aim in the future.

My confusion of life
    • Let me just state the fact that I am so INDECISIVE (I still want to change one of my subjects but it’s too late *sigh*.
    • I wanted to do law but now, I love economics so much and I want to do it at university but guess what, you need a-level maths for it.
    • That’s not bringing me down tho as I have found some similar degrees and some uni’s that don’t require it.
    • So, basically, I’ve got a lot of choice for my future so yeah.

My university and degree choices (so many)
    • Nottingham University - Economics
    • St Andrew’s University - Economics with management studies
    • Queen Mary University London - Accountancy and Finance
    • Queen Mary University London - Law with Business
    • Warwick University - Management
    • Warwick University - Law with Social sciences
    • University College London - Law
    • University College London - History
    • University College London - Social studies with quantitative methods.
    • Durham University - Economics with foundation year

How’s year 12 up to now?
    • Not that great.
    • So at the start, there were two history classes but one of them got cancelled for the most oblivious reason. I wanted to do both history and politics but since my original history class got cancelled, I had to choose between them since they both clashed in my timetable. I initially chose politics but I wasn’t really enjoying it and hated my teachers so I changed to history a month and a half later. Since I had to choose one, I had to pick another subject so I chose English Literature.
    • I hate English Literature so much. There is legit too much context and work and I’m having so much problem with it. Since I moved to a grammar school, I feel diminished as everyone is so much smarter than me and I feel like a failure. I really want to change English Literature to Maths but it’s too late now so I’m just gonna drop it when I can.
    • I’m kind of confused in history lessons as I’m quite new and I missed a lot but I’m kind of understanding. It’s just hard to differentiate writing essays in GCSE and in A-Levels. Why did I pick too many essay subjects?
    • Psychology is going so good for me. I’m just getting full marks all the time and I’m understanding it so much. It’s just a lot of content but I know I can manage.
    • And economics. I’m just so interested in economics as well as getting A* in the September exams.
    • I just need to work so much harder.

If you guys want to be tagged, just reply or PM me.
    Blog's looking great! Keep me tagged in future updates - can't wait to follow your progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Blog's looking great! Keep me tagged in future updates - can't wait to follow your progress
    Thanks and definitely.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey just had a read through and I really like this blog! Will be following, tag me in future updates :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Hey just had a read through and I really like this blog! Will be following, tag me in future updates :thumbsup:
    Will do!

ReputationRep:
    True. Thanks. I saw your GCSE grades and they are actually really good. Plus your A Level subjects sound so hard. We both should be able to get our grades we desire.
    Yeah thanks! I'm aiming for medicine, which is why I need to make sure I get great predicted grades like AAA or A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    12/11/2017 - A Miracle

So somehow I actually managed to do a lot of work today. To be honest, I really didn't think that I was doing work like I wasn't really forcing myself. I just did it and realised like 10 minutes later that I'm actually doing work. Since I was a latecomer to History, I started doing mindmaps on stuff that I have missed. For example today I was looking at Absolutism and the Structure of the Ancien Regime. I realised that doing mindmaps for history was so much more useful and I can organise it more easily. I have to do more work though because my teachers are very bad and incompetent. The problem is though I need more info on how to structure the essay because it's apparently so much more different than GCSE times. I've searched so many websites but they are all so uninformative. I'm just gonna have to keep on begging my mum to get me a tutor.

I was also thinking about University. One thing I'm so addicted to is university research. I'm just so excited for it (especially the UCAS process funnily enough) and I was searching for accommodation and courses and module. Whilst I was searching for accommodation, I became sad as I thought about how I'm gonna be separated from my mum, who I treat as my best friend (no, I'm not a loner). I feel like everything is about to change. Wow, this update is getting so deep so I'm gonna change the subject.

Tomorrow, I have a double study (I'm not allowed to go home in my study/free), double economics and double history. Usually, during double study, I go to this primary school for volunteering but I might not go tomorrow because I want to do some more revision then so I might just say I'm sick or something. During economics, we are gonna have a look at our second exam and how we did (Which I don't really care about because it won't affect my grade as I already got an A* in the first exam and she's choosing the best one out of both). I don't know what I'm doing in double history but it's probably something to do with James I.

Thank you all who dedicate the time to watch my thread, which is so long.

Attached Images

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey, add me to your updates. Would love to see how you get on. And don't worry, better make a decision late than early and get it wrong so keep working hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    Hey, add me to your updates. Would love to see how you get on. And don't worry, better make a decision late than early and get it wrong so keep working hard
    Will do and true dat.

ReputationRep:
    Also, BIG NEWS!!! I am a Netflix addict. I just love so many shows like Stranger Things. But now I've realised that it's a big distraction from my study so unfortunately, I have deleted my Netflix account (I hear all those people booing at me; I'm sorry). However, I have just bought Spotify premium as music helps me study in a way.

Submit reply
Updated: November 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.