Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew who the Newcastle teaching style is broken down. Their website is quite vague. For example what percentage of the curriculum is focused on lectures and what proportion is on problem based learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chasearellano)
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew who the Newcastle teaching style is broken down. Their website is quite vague. For example what percentage of the curriculum is focused on lectures and what proportion is on problem based learning.
    Beska

Beska should be able to answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    Course changed last year, so would be slightly different from Beska's course.

Would also like to point out that if you linger in course detail long enough on the online prospectus, it also breaks down the percentages of time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Course changed last year, so would be slightly different from Beska's course.

Would also like to point out that if you linger in course detail long enough on the online prospectus, it also breaks down the percentages of time.
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've checked the medical prospectus but it only outlines what is taught, not specifying the time frame for lectures etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've checked the medical prospectus but it only outlines what is taught, not specifying the time frame for lectures etc
    Okay. But the idea of PBL is that it is supplemented by lectures and expanded upon during independent study, so I don't fully understand what you're asking. Plus, Newcastle is not a PBL course.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. But the idea of PBL is that it is supplemented by lectures and expanded upon during independent study, so I don't fully understand what you're asking. Plus, Newcastle is not a PBL course.
    Newcastle is case based learning but they haven't outlined what proportion is allocated for activities such as working in teams, lectures and patient contact etc. I was wondering if anyone knew, e.g lectures take up 20% of the time. Some numerical figures such as that.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is case based learning but they haven't outlined what proportion is allocated for activities such as working in teams, lectures and patient contact etc. I was wondering if anyone knew, e.g lectures take up 20% of the time. Some numerical figures such as that.
    See now I understand a bit better, as asking about PBL was a little vague.

Did you see the information banner at the bottom which stated like 1000 hours independent study and stuff? I would think thats more than enough information. But if I may ask, how would numerical figures actually help you? Surely knowing the methods with which they teach with is enough?

EDIT: Just had another browse around the website and actually found a source with a full (read: not vague) breakdown of teaching time allocations, so I don't think you've been looking around fully.

ReputationRep:
    See now I understand a bit better, as asking about PBL was a little vague.

Did you see the information banner at the bottom which stated like 1000 hours independent study and stuff? I would think thats more than enough information. But if I may ask, how would numerical figures actually help you? Surely knowing the methods with which they teach with is enough?

EDIT: Just had another browse around the website and actually found a source with a full (read: not vague) breakdown of teaching time allocations, so I don't think you've been looking around fully.
    Really? I've honestly been looking for a very long time and I've been unable to find this? Are you sure you're looking at the right thing? Also as to why I wanted the times I wanted to know what the main focus on teaching style and how I can compare this to other medical schools so I'd find the numerical details helpful rather than vague ideas on the time spent on different forms of teaching/self learning. And as to the banner at the bottom, it's useful but once again it's still vague as it specifies learning and self learning but nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    @Chasearellano

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sme/study/undergraduate/content/

MBBS programme handbook, page 23.

Admitted, still just hours, but I'm sure you can do percentages.

ReputationRep:
    @Chasearellano

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sme/study/undergraduate/content/

MBBS programme handbook, page 23.

Admitted, still just hours, but I'm sure you can do percentages.
    Thanks that's what I was looking for

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.