Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm so so embarrassed of my academic CV... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

My story is, I'm a undergraduate major in Science and I'm looking for a postgraduate study position. So, I sent emails to a couple potential supervisors and I got a couple responses. Then, we discussed a bit and so on.

One of the supervisors asked for my CV and ask how much research experience I had. Here is what my CV looks like:

Education
    A level (xxx School, Year 20xx- 20xx)
    xxx Subject - Grade
    xxx Subject - Grade
    xxx Subject - Grade

Diploma major in xxx (xxx College, Year 20xx- 20xx)
    Classification - xxx

BSc (Hon) major in xxx (University of xxx, Year 20xx-20xx)
    Classification - xxx

Working Experience
    Laboratory technician in xxx laboratory (Period 20xx-20xx)
    Laboratory technician in xxx Hospital (Period 20xx-20xx)

That's it. Therefore, you can see that my CV is less than a page. I didn't think too much and sent him my CV anyway. At this stage, I am boldly honest and tell him that I don't have much experience (in modelling and statistics). I did one (crappy) fyp during my diploma, one dissertation and one fyp during my BSc. When I looked at my CV, I believed my chance is slim.

For some reasons, that supervisor seems willing to proceed forward. He requested another CV and a research statement, in which both follow university's “admission standard”. I can handle the statement, but the CV needs to be TWO PAGES long!!! I can’t imagine my CV to be 2 pages long.

I can’t help but doubt whether going for a PhD at this stage is a good move. My original plan was doing a MSc first, then PhD. I discussed lengthily with one of my professors and my BSc fyp supervisor. They both went straight from BSc to PhD and they advised me to do the same. They said that “it’s ok for an undergraduate student who doesn’t have those skills and it is the whole point of doing a PhD, development! If you had those skills already, what’s the point doing a PhD?”

Both of them are very supportive and I don’t want to show them that I am lack of faith in their advices. I want to ask that whether my situation is normal or actually, my academic background is subpar to postgraduate standard?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wingless_L)
    Hi guys

My story is, I'm a undergraduate major in Science and I'm looking for a postgraduate study position. So, I sent emails to a couple potential supervisors and I got a couple responses. Then, we discussed a bit and so on.

One of the supervisors asked for my CV and ask how much research experience I had. Here is what my CV looks like:

Education
    A level (xxx School, Year 20xx- 20xx)
    xxx Subject - Grade
    xxx Subject - Grade
    xxx Subject - Grade

Diploma major in xxx (xxx College, Year 20xx- 20xx)
    Classification - xxx

BSc (Hon) major in xxx (University of xxx, Year 20xx-20xx)
    Classification - xxx

Working Experience
    Laboratory technician in xxx laboratory (Period 20xx-20xx)

That's it. Therefore, you can see that my CV is less than a page. I didn't think too much and sent him my CV anyway. At this stage, I am boldly honest and tell him that I don't have much experience (in modelling and statistics). I did one (crappy) fyp during my diploma, one dissertation and one fyp during my BSc. When I looked at my CV, I believed my chance is slim.

For some reasons, that supervisor seems willing to proceed forward. He requested another CV and a research statement, in which both follow university's “admission standard”. I can handle the statement, but the CV needs to be TWO PAGES long!!! I can’t imagine my CV to be 2 pages long.

I can’t help but doubt whether going for a PhD at this stage is a good move. My original plan was doing a MSc first, then PhD. I discussed lengthily with one of my professors and my BSc fyp supervisor. They both went straight from BSc to PhD and they advised me to do the same. They said that “it’s ok for an undergraduate student who doesn’t have those skills and it is the whole point of doing a PhD, development! If you had those skills already, what’s the point doing a PhD?”

Both of them are very supportive and I don’t want to show them that I am lack of faith in their advices. I want to ask that whether my situation is normal or actually, my academic background is subpar to postgraduate standard?

Thanks a lot
    add in your gcse grades

add in other irrelevant certificates u got - first aid or DoE Bronze/Silver/Gold

add in something like references

ReputationRep:
    At this stage what you have is what everyone else has and possibly more. But you need to flesh it out! A CV from the ages of 15-40 needs to have a paragraph for every major thing you've done and a line for most minor things (Alevel/GCSE/grade whatever panpipes...). They don't want lists of grades, that's not what a good CV is! They want the person, not just the grades.

With your degree, mention what subjects you enjoyed, what you enjoyed most about the degree, why you did that course. If you did a 3rd year project talk about that. What skills you learnt. Did you do any extracurricular activities, what skills did you gain doing that? Any software/coding/languages you know?

For the work experience describe the job you did, how it was relevant, what you got out of it. You've got some great work experience positions, but unless you tell them what you did and what you got out of it, they wont know.

Give an introductory paragraph about who you are, what they would gain from employing you, what your career goals are and where you see yourself in 5 years.

They want you to apply because you clearly have potential, you just need to learn how to write CV's. The university of Kent has a fantastic careers website and they have example CV's. They even have one for postgrad study.
    https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/cvexamples.htm#CV

Heres one for PhDs
    https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/phdcvIT.htm

Hope this helps, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Here's one specifically for science grads !

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/sciencecv.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    add in your gcse grades

add in other irrelevant certificates u got - first aid or DoE Bronze/Silver/Gold
    Neither of these are really relevant to a phd position.

Write about your modules, dissertation etc., in reference to the position. Stats modules, research methods, etc. show you have experience. Don't lie, but don't undersell yourself. You will only disadvantage yourself this way. I dont know what fyp means but sell that and show how that has prepared you for this phd.

Write about your work experience in more detail and how it is relevant to the position.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Take it to the CV Help forum where you can get relevant advice and speak about details in a private thread. You aren't writing in enough detail at the moment, you are just giving headlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    I dont know what fyp means but sell that and show how that has prepared you for this phd.
    Sorry, fyp stands for "final year project".

Thank you so much. You guys are amazing. I thought that you only list what you did (bullet points) and I don't know you could explain or talk so much more and in such great details.

Thanks a lot
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, fyp stands for "final year project".

Thank you so much. You guys are amazing. I thought that you only list what you did (bullet points) and I don't know you could explain or talk so much more and in such great details.

Thanks a lot
    Be careful you have properly understood. You should use bullet points throughout a CV, however, you still give more details eg

2016-17 Researcher, Final Year Project, University of Wherever
    • Design a process to determine ..........................
    • Created a ........................to enable .....................
    • Collected data from ................................ .............
    • Analysed ................................ ............................
    • Used ............(equipment)......... ................................ ..
    • Used ................(techniques) ................................ ...
    • Showed ................................ .............................
    • Presented ................................ ................................

Don't put GCSEs or DofE awards on a PhD CV - that's comedy gold!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.