The Student Room Group

asked to work from 4am during xmas period when my agreed hours are from 6am?

i work at tesco and during a meeting to arrange xmas working hours, the manager mentioned about having to work some shifts that start from 4am. My hours that were agreed at interview and in my contract are from 6am to midnight 5 days of the week and from 12 noon to midnight the other 2 days of the week. I'm concerned about what to say if he asks me to do this cause i have no way of getting to tesco at that time in the morning- 6am works cause i get a lift in with my dad on his way to work but this would be impossible for that time in the morning. But i'm worried that if i refuse it will reflect badly on me or result in me being dismissed. Is there anything i can do about this?
Reply 1
They could potentially hold a grudge, but as far as I know, nothing bad can come of it because it's not in your agreed hours. I, personally would just tell them you can't make it, although I appreciate it's easier said than done
Original post by tgwktm
i work at tesco and during a meeting to arrange xmas working hours, the manager mentioned about having to work some shifts that start from 4am. My hours that were agreed at interview and in my contract are from 6am to midnight 5 days of the week and from 12 noon to midnight the other 2 days of the week. I'm concerned about what to say if he asks me to do this cause i have no way of getting to tesco at that time in the morning- 6am works cause i get a lift in with my dad on his way to work but this would be impossible for that time in the morning. But i'm worried that if i refuse it will reflect badly on me or result in me being dismissed. Is there anything i can do about this?

You're already working 114 hours a week.. Surely working anymore hours would be damaging for your health... Most people work between 40 and 50 hours a week..
How come you don't get a day off?
Original post by tgwktm

If your only reason is the travel issue, then you state that you have no way of getting there. Your manager might suggest someone else on the same shift can give you a lift, but they can’t “make” you work a shift you can’t get to which also isn’t on your contract. You have every right to refuse on that basis.
Reply 4
Original post by Jackieox
You're already working 114 hours a week.. Surely working anymore hours would be damaging for your health... Most people work between 40 and 50 hours a week..
How come you don't get a day off?

its a flexible contract- they can ask me to work anytime between those hours but i usually only do between 7.5 and 10 hours a week

Quick Reply

Latest