Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! I want to apply to geography, at Kings college, Queen Mary’s, Nottingham, Exeter and UCL however i am worried my GCSEs (7bs 3 Cs ) B maths and B English will be too low, my predicted grades will be AAA, do i stand a chance or will my GCSEs hold me back, just need some advice, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely stand a chance, your current application is more important than your GCSEs. I'd definitely recommend a back up with lower entry requirements too however, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    A levels are more important than GCSEs in applying for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've had an offer from King's and Notts before with worse GCSEs than that!

As the above though, I'd recommend:
    1-2 "ambitious" universities
    1-2 on your level realistically
    1 backup below your level

Edit: I'm assuming you're on about KCL; King's College Cambridge might be more funny about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddly Lizard)
    A levels are more important than GCSEs in applying for uni.
    True but due to no as level wouldn’t Unis rather base their offer More on past gcse grades rather than predictions ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    I've had an offer from King's and Notts before with worse GCSEs than that!

As the above though, I'd recommend:
    1-2 "ambitious" universities
    1-2 on your level realistically
    1 backup below your level

Edit: I'm assuming you're on about KCL; King's College Cambridge might be more funny about GCSEs.
    Thanks, if you don’t mind me asking what Unis did you apply, what were your predicteds and what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    You definitely stand a chance, your current application is more important than your GCSEs. I'd definitely recommend a back up with lower entry requirements too however, just in case.
    True, I was considering Royal Holloway

ReputationRep:
    I know grades seem to be the major aspect of getting into University but that’s not always the case. Like some University go by interviews, more that grade entries. I have no doubt that you will get in though. Pretty sure you’ll rock those grades but either way. They do allow you in some other how.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Each Uni will list the minimum GCSEs required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Each Uni will list the minimum GCSEs required.
    That’s true, most say B in English and Maths but not sure how true these are because of the competitiveness of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by School00000)
    Thanks, if you don’t mind me asking what Unis did you apply, what were your predicteds and what course did you apply for?
    This was a couple years ago and has since changed, but in 2015:

Predicted: A*A*AAB (Achieved A*A*ABB). Realistically just AAB because my 2 A*s were in native languages.
    Applied to: Belfast, KCL, UCL, Nottingham and Glasgow for History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlissfulEyes)
    I know grades seem to be the major aspect of getting into University but that’s not always the case. Like some University go by interviews, more that grade entries. I have no doubt that you will get in though. Pretty sure you’ll rock those grades but either way. They do allow you in some other how.
    Thanks appreciate it, btw geography has no interview but I hope my personal statement is good enough, I mean I attended two summer schools one at kings other at royal Holloway, I’ll let you know what offers I get if I get them.

ReputationRep:
    That’s true, most say B in English and Maths but not sure how true these are because of the competitiveness of the course.
    All applications will be 'scored' for academic grades/predictions, Personal Statement and Reference, so just having the minimum grades (GCSE or A level) will not guarantee you a place. Like everybody else, you'll just have to apply and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    True but due to no as level wouldn’t Unis rather base their offer More on past gcse grades rather than predictions ?
    My 6th Form told me that they mainly focus on your A level predictions. Your GCSE results will only make a big impact if you've got mostly Ds and some Cs, if you're getting Bs and As, universities will generally trust in your A level predictions.

A Level work is closer to university level work than A Level is close to GCSE. A Levels are better indicators of a student's abilities than GCSEs because of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddly Lizard)

A Level work is closer to university level work than A Level is close to GCSE. A Levels are better indicators of a student's abilities than GCSEs because of this.
    However, your A level predictions are essentially optimistic guesswork, and therefore the only factual guide to your ability are your GCSE grades. Therefore all Unis, for all courses, will score your GCSE profile - even where there is no stated GCSE requirement for the course.

For A level requirements, for some courses and at some Unis, they may look at applicants with predictions one grade below their requirements (but not in a stated subject). Most of this scoring is automated, therefore there will be limited scope for individual consideration of academic profiles - ie. Unis do not have time for the ignoring one set of grades in favour of the other as this poster seems to be suggesting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.