Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C4 - Seeing if vectors intersect, why do we only see if the two K values are equal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_133.png
Views: 6
Size:  160.9 KB

When they have solved it for S and t, they then sub those values into both k values (the z directions) to see if they are equal. Obviously if they are equal then they intersect, and if not then they don't. But how come you can tell by checking only if the Z values/ K values are equal on both sides? How come you don't have to check it for the X values, the Y values and then the Z values?

For example, in this question, the i/x values are equal (both equal 8) but they don't intersect since the z values are different.

On a sidenote too, should I be using ijk or xyz in the above terminology? What's the difference?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by vector12)

When they have solved it for S and t, they then sub those values into both k values (the z directions) to see if they are equal. Obviously if they are equal then they intersect, and if not then they don't. But how come you can tell by checking only if the Z values/ K values are equal on both sides? How come you don't have to check it for the X values, the Y values and then the Z values?
    The two equations they used to find s and t, come from equating the first pair of coordinates, and from equating the second pair of coordinates. Any solution will automatically satisfy those first two coordinates, so we only need to check the third.

On a sidenote too, should I be using ijk or xyz in the above terminology? What's the difference?
    i,j,k are vectors. x,y,z refer to directions. What you have in the parentheses are coordinates. For the top number, I'd say the first coordinate, by preference. x-coordinate is probably acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    The two equations they used to find s and t, come from equating the first pair of coordinates, and from equating the second pair of coordinates. Any solution will automatically satisfy those first two coordinates, so we only need to check the third.

i,j,k are vectors. x,y,z refer to directions. What you have in the parentheses are coordinates. For the top number, I'd say the first coordinate, by preference. x-coordinate is probably acceptable.
    Oh okay, so if you used the x coordinate and the z coordinate to solve for s and t, you would then need to use the y coordinate to check if they're equal? Is that right?

EDIT: I've just tried solving for s and t using the x and z components and I've ended up with:

6+27t = 9+6s
    -6-2t=4+6s

Which gave me 12+29t = 5, and so 29t=-7. But I already know from the mark scheme that the z components aren't equal, so would I have been wrong to try and solve it using the x and z components rather than the x and y components?
    • Study Helper

Oh okay, so if you used the x coordinate and the z coordinate to solve for s and t, you would then need to use the y coordinate to check if they're equal? Is that right?
    Yep - you got it.

And sorry to be a pain, but I have just said i, j, k rather than x,y,z again there?
    If you're asking "should you have said ...", then no. x,y,z is fine.
    • Study Helper

EDIT: I've just tried solving for s and t using the x and z components and I've ended up with:

6+27t = 9+6s
    -6-2t=2+6s

Which gave me 12+29t = 7, and so 29t=7. But I already know from the mark scheme that the z components aren't equal, so would I have been wrong to try and solve it using the x and z components rather than the x and y components?
    It is NOT incorrect to use x and z.

Saying "the z components aren't equal" needs qualifying - below:

If you choose x,y, then where the lines have the same x,y coordinates, they will have different z coordinates.

If you choose x,z, then where the lines have the same x,z coordinates, they will have different y coordinates.

I would choose any pair of coordinates to start that look as if they might give an easy couple of equations - i.e. go for the ones with the smaller numbers.
    Edit: That said, in all likelihood, most markschemes / solutions will probably just use x,y. Anything else would be listed as an alternative solution. Fine in an exam, but possibly not present in "worked solutions".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.