Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apprenticeship level 4/5 or foundation degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It may also be worth mentioning that they were developing apprenticeships in Nursing, so that could work better for you. But again, I'm unsure on the entry requirements for those and haven't got a scooby when they're actually going to be rolled out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esme6560)
    Will I still get on he diploma with level 3 health and social
    Yes, you should be able to

(Original post by uptownpunkk)
    --- I know you've done L3 Health and Social but I'm not entirely sure that'd get you onto an undergraduate in nursing. That's something you might want to research on.
    I checked up on that before I posted my last comment and the answer was you can't use Level 3 Health and Social to get straight onto the degree, but it was accepted for Access and foundation years.

ReputationRep:
    It may also be worth mentioning that they were developing apprenticeships in Nursing, so that could work better for you. But again, I'm unsure on the entry requirements for those and haven't got a scooby when they're actually going to be rolled out
    Didn't know about that, that's great advice. Apparently a few places started in September, a few more will start in February, and a lot more will start next September.

However I imagine these will be very competitive at first seeing as they come with a £17k+ salary compared to the £9k+maintenance you're paying each year as a nursing students. There's also the downside that it's a very new scheme which may have some teething problems.

ReputationRep:
    The HE Diploma is the access course they were talking about earlier I think. It's a Level 3 course, so only your GCSE's will matter in terms of getting onto one. --- I know you've done L3 Health and Social but I'm not entirely sure that'd get you onto an undergraduate in nursing. That's something you might want to research on.

If it doesn't I recommend getting a HE Diploma for Nursing. They only take a year to complete full time.
    Okay thanks everything here has been more helpful than any career choice appointment, I think I'd need good gcse's for undergraduate nursing which I don't have unfortunately. So HE diploma and then undergraduate nursing? Sorry for so many questions
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks everything here has been more helpful than any career choice appointment, I think I'd need good gcse's for undergraduate nursing which I don't have unfortunately. So HE diploma and then undergraduate nursing? Sorry for so many questions
    You'd have to take a look at the universities you'd like to study the nursing degree at. I just looked at the University of Southampton for an example and they will take a Science based HE Diploma, and GCSE Maths, English, and Science A*-C grade. But some other universities may have higher requirements for GCSE's.

My FE College used to do HE Diplomas, and they don't take up too much time, even when they're full time. Depending on other commitments in you life you could in theory try retaking some GCSE's alongside the HE Diploma. Or you could just look into unis that'd take your HE Diploma and current GCSE grades

EDIT: Here's the link for Southamptons Entry Requirements : https://www.southampton.ac.uk/health...______________

ReputationRep:
    In your opinions, what do you think would be best for me, most efficient and quickest yet, best use of my time I don't want to be doing extra years.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinions, what do you think would be best for me, most efficient and quickest yet, best use of my time I don't want to be doing extra years.
    I'd look for both the apprenticeships and HE Diplomas, applying to both and see what you get. I did the same last year and applied for higher apprenticeships and university so I could keep my options open.

What did you get in Maths and English GCSE again? If you got C's that'll get you into most unis, so if I was in your position I'd look at unis that accept those grades. I'm not a expert in the medical field (I'm a film student) but from what I've heard Southampton is good for that, and they accept C's so...

But at the end of the day no one else can make the decision but you

ReputationRep:
    I'd look for both the apprenticeships and HE Diplomas, applying to both and see what you get. I did the same last year and applied for higher apprenticeships and university so I could keep my options open.

What did you get in Maths and English GCSE again? If you got C's that'll get you into most unis, so if I was in your position I'd look at unis that accept those grades. I'm not a expert in the medical field (I'm a film student) but from what I've heard Southampton is good for that, and they accept C's so...

But at the end of the day no one else can make the decision but you
    Okay thanks I'll look into Southampton uni, apprenticeships and HE Diplomas. I don't think I'll get into uni straight after my L3 health and social. So I'll try HE diplomas and apprenticeships first. I got a 5 in English - good C in other words and retaking maths this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.