Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview prep discussion 2018 entry Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Now interview offers are starting to come through I thought it would be super useful to start a thread where current applicants can post topics they are researching/ common answers they are preparing! Hopefully it means no one misses anything out as there is quite a lot to cover!

I’ll start...

Topic: NHS structure
    Quick fact I’ve learnt: total NHS budget is £115 billion and 60% of this is given to CCGs (clinical commissioning groups) for them to distribute in their local areas
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iz2018)
    Topic: NHS structure
    Quick fact I’ve learnt: total NHS budget is £115 billion and 60% of this is given to CCGs (clinical commissioning groups) for them to distribute in their local areas
    Good work - I doubt even the interviewers will know this (I don't and perhaps I should !!)

ReputationRep:
    Aha it’s actually quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Aha it’s actually quite interesting!
    Is it really (?!) We are looking at a future medical director!

ReputationRep:
    H!:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Is it really (?!) We are looking at a future medical director!
    Hahaha noo definitely not😂 it’d be super cool to be involved in admissions & interviews though! (If I get through them myself lol)

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha noo definitely not😂 it’d be super cool to be involved in admissions
    Would it? I find it too cruel to turn down good applicants. It's the same for exams - I teach and examine students throughout the year so I know them, and yet I have to fail some which I find quite sad.

ReputationRep:
    Would it? I find it too cruel to turn down good applicants. It's the same for exams - I teach and examine students throughout the year so I know them, and yet I have to fail some which I find quite sad.
    Yeah there is that but I also think making medical schools more widely accessible and encouraging people to apply would be rewarding I also enjoy interviewing people ahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there is that but I also think making medical schools more widely accessible and encouraging people to apply would be rewarding I also enjoy interviewing people ahaha
    Oh I do that too - I go to schools and give talks encouraging students to do medicine (sorry I am increasing the competition )

And there are sooo many stories I can tell about interviewing, especially nervous candidates. That's why my advice is always to try and relax (easier said than done)!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I do that too - I go to schools and give talks encouraging students to do medicine (sorry I am increasing the competition )

And there are sooo many stories I can tell about interviewing, especially nervous candidates. That's why my advice is always to try and relax (easier said than done)!
    Yeah I’m getting kinda worried for my interviews, but was told I came across relaxed (somehow?!) in a mock so maybe I’ll be okay ahah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’m getting kinda worried for my interviews, but was told I came across relaxed (somehow?!) in a mock so maybe I’ll be okay ahah
    That's the main thing - it's how you come across (1st impression is important!). The MMIs should be fair to all candidates which is a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    That's the main thing - it's how you come across (1st impression is important!). The MMIs should be fair to all candidates which is a good thing!
    Yeah definitely! Have you any tips on how to approach the role play/ breaking bad news type of stations? I’m not the best actor😂

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely! Have you any tips on how to approach the role play/ breaking bad news type of stations? I’m not the best actor😂
    Oh but you have to get used to it since there are lots of simulated scenarios in med school and as part of your training as a junior doctor! For breaking bad news - use the SPIKES protocol (http://www.oscestop.com/Breaking_bad_news.pdf) Don't worry it is not expected that you are all masters in communication at the age of 17!

ReputationRep:
    Oh but you have to get used to it since there are lots of simulated scenarios in med school and as part of your training as a junior doctor! For breaking bad news - use the SPIKES protocol (http://www.oscestop.com/Breaking_bad_news.pdf) Don't worry it is not expected that you are all masters in communication at the age of 17!
    Aha I know but when you practise with friends it’s very easy to laugh😂 thank you that’s really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Aha I know but when you practise with friends it’s very easy to laugh😂 thank you that’s really helpful!
    Yes - avoid laughing in the interview if possible Ask me any Qs (as long as it's not "what's going to come up for real?" )

ReputationRep:
    I’m pretty sure I’ll be too scared to laugh hahaha!

How would you advise approaching ethics questions to try and avoid digging yourself a hole?! (I’m aware of using the 4 pillars as structure is that the best plan!)

How would you approach the why you want to be a doctor answer so you don’t sound like everyone else? Obviously I have my reasons (😂) but any tips on structuring it/how many points/ to include work experience anecdote or not?

Sorry I’ve kinda bombarded you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - avoid laughing in the interview if possible Ask me any Qs (as long as it's not "what's going to come up for real?" )
    Oops never quoted you!

ReputationRep:
    How would you advise approaching ethics questions to try and avoid digging yourself a hole?! (I’m aware of using the 4 pillars as structure is that the best plan!)
    Just answer the question using the 4 pillars, and avoid bringing extra things into the discussion. e.g. if you were asked about whether to pay for a nurse or a course of treatment for a patient - then analyse the situation using that, don't say "NHS is running out of money" or something like that.

Remember - usually there is no right answer, but there is very much a wrong answer (sorry to scare you!!)

How would you approach the why you want to be a doctor answer so you don’t sound like everyone else? Obviously I have my reasons (😂) but any tips on structuring it/how many points/ to include work experience anecdote or not?
    Just say why - there is no need to specifically structuring it and the interview is "informal"! Btw definitely including work experience, as not all interviewers would have read your PS so you need to sell yourself and tell them how motivated you are and have gone on work experience / volunteered / worked in a fast food joint etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just say why - there is no need to specifically structuring it and the interview is "informal"!
    Okay fab thanks so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.