Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London Academy of Excellence students (or anyine who knows about the school) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is PE and Extra curricular lessons required at the sixth form?
    if you go there, is it easy to balance this out with the "academically rigorous" curriculum?
    thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    P.E and extra curricular are mandatory. What that means is every Tuesday you attend a sport of your choice, at Wednesdays are a great range of clubs, Thursdays have a range of programmes including things like academic literacy and EPQ. On Fridays is outreach or career pathways.

What I would recommend is actually finding something you love doing. Last year I did rock climbing and sailing, which were genuinely fun and challenging. However you can always elect to do sports such as yoga, table tennis and running which are held within LAE, lowering the burden of time. All clubs are held in LAE, and there are a great range from Excell club, Medicine Society and UKMT prep to debating and feminism Society. You can make the time productive, by doing a club related to the degree you aim for. Same applies to outreach and careers pathway.

I found it easy to manage time between 4 A levels and their co curricular enrichment. This cannot be said of everyone. In the worst case scenario sports will use up 60 minutes of your time (if you do it at LAE) and clubs will take 50 minutes. Outreach and pathways are at max 60 minutes. Again it's all up to you, but in my opinion all students should be able to handle it, especially since the co curricular programme acts as a break from academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussain Alam)
    P.E and extra curricular are mandatory. What that means is every Tuesday you attend a sport of your choice, at Wednesdays are a great range of clubs, Thursdays have a range of programmes including things like academic literacy and EPQ. On Fridays is outreach or career pathways.

What I would recommend is actually finding something you love doing. Last year I did rock climbing and sailing, which were genuinely fun and challenging. However you can always elect to do sports such as yoga, table tennis and running which are held within LAE, lowering the burden of time. All clubs are held in LAE, and there are a great range from Excell club, Medicine Society and UKMT prep to debating and feminism Society. You can make the time productive, by doing a club related to the degree you aim for. Same applies to outreach and careers pathway.

I found it easy to manage time between 4 A levels and their co curricular enrichment. This cannot be said of everyone. In the quest case scenario sports will use up 60 minutes of your time (if you do it at LAE) and clubs will take 50 minutes. Outreach and pathways are at max 60 minutes. Again it's all up to you, but in my opinion all students should be able to handle it, especially since the co curricular programme acts as a break from academia.
    thanks for the reply
    do you think it's likely to achieve CCC AS grades by year 12 because I know they kick you out if you cant but considering that a pass is an E that seems really hard?
    Also how many people on average get kicked out by year 12 for not achieving CCC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolquestions)
    thanks for the reply
    do you think it's likely to achieve CCC AS grades by year 12 because I know they kick you out if you cant but considering that a pass is an E that seems really hard?
    Also how many people on average get kicked out by year 12 for not achieving CCC?
    "For GCSEs after reformations, the pass grades are 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1, but a "good pass" which is generally required, is grade 4 or higher." - From the GCSE Wikipedia page.

LAE is doing something very similar where they require a good pass. Generally LAE is the place to go if you want to undergo higher education (although they do a great job raising awareness for all the great apprenticeships available). Hence if you want to study at LAE, you should be aiming for results that can get to into decent universities. LAE will not exaggerate your A level predicted grades at all to "help you".

How easy is it? Well that is highly personal, but generally at LAE only a few people get kicked out each year. This year it was less than normal because they offered a lifeline to students to take the new government and politics course fully in 1 year (AS and A2 in the same year). I would say less than 10 people get kicked out a year, but I haven't collected data on this. There is definitely no mass execution of students, and life carries on into Y13 smoothly. Of course if there are extreme circumstances leading to your failure then LAE will take that into account. Last year a student got to retake Y12 due to severe issues. Class sizes do get much smaller as almost all Y13 drop to 3 A levels since it is so much more convenient for meeting university requirements (A*A*A is easier than A*AAA). Dropping to 3 A levels is forced upon you if you never achieved AAAA in AS. Even if you do get AAAA, they still highly recommend you to drop.

Finally, at LAE there is a huge support network for students to learn and revise topics outside of lessons. We have a series of interventions on Monday, Thursday and Friday that anyone can walk into and some are required to go to support their learning (and always willingly do so). I find it hard to believe that you can fail at LAE, unless you are extraordinarily lazy or incapable. Meeting LAE requirements should definitely be enough 'capability', so I wouldn't worry about it. People at LAE can get great grades, live a good social life and are happy. Of course you can throw all that out of the window by last minute revising, revising really inefficiently (sitting in the library on your phone etc) or not at all.

I would definitely apply to LAE, and wouldn't worry about the possibility of being kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussain Alam)
    "For GCSEs after reformations, the pass grades are 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1, but a "good pass" which is generally required, is grade 4 or higher." - From the GCSE Wikipedia page.

LAE is doing something very similar where they require a good pass. Generally LAE is the place to go if you want to undergo higher education (although they do a great job raising awareness for all the great apprenticeships available). Hence if you want to study at LAE, you should be aiming for results that can get to into decent universities. LAE will not exaggerate your A level predicted grades at all to "help you".

How easy is it? Well that is highly personal, but generally at LAE only a few people get kicked out each year. This year it was less than normal because they offered a lifeline to students to take the new government and politics course fully in 1 year (AS and A2 in the same year). I would say less than 10 people get kicked out a year, but I haven't collected data on this. There is definitely no mass execution of students, and life carries on into Y13 smoothly. Of course if there are extreme circumstances leading to your failure then LAE will take that into account. Last year a student got to retake Y12 due to severe issues. Class sizes do get much smaller as almost all Y13 drop to 3 A levels since it is so much more convenient for meeting university requirements (A*A*A is easier than A*AAA). Dropping to 3 A levels is forced upon you if you never achieved AAAA in AS. Even if you do get AAAA, they still highly recommend you to drop.

Finally, at LAE there is a huge support network for students to learn and revise topics outside of lessons. We have a series of interventions on Monday, Thursday and Friday that anyone can walk into and some are required to go to support their learning (and always willingly do so). I find it hard to believe that you can fail at LAE, unless you are extraordinarily lazy or incapable. Meeting LAE requirements should definitely be enough 'capability', so I wouldn't worry about it. People at LAE can get great grades, live a good social life and are happy. Of course you can throw all that out of the window by last minute revising, revising really inefficiently (sitting in the library on your phone etc) or not at all.

I would definitely apply to LAE, and wouldn't worry about the possibility of being kicked out.
    Thanks for the detailed response. LAE really like like a good choice

ReputationRep:
    looks*

ReputationRep:
    where are you from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.