Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    f(x)= \dfrac{|x+1||x-1|}{x^2 -1}

Calculating the limit as x\Rightarrow -1^-, -1^+, 1^-, 1^+

So mod mean you can do x+1 and 1-x cus that's how mod works.

So you can get the answers 1 and -1 only out f(x) ensuring that the original f(x) is exactly the same as 1 or -1

however i'm not sure as how to determine the limits.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    f(x)= \dfrac{|x+1||x-1|}{x^2 -1}

Calculating the limit as x\Rightarrow -1^-, -1^+, 1^-, 1^+

So mod mean you can do x+1 and 1-x cus that's how mod works.

So you can get the answers 1 and -1 only out f(x) ensuring that the original f(x) is exactly the same as 1 or -1

however i'm not sure as how to determine the limits.
    You can split the range into 3 sections; (-\infty,-1) \cup (-1,1) \cup (1, \infty)

Then for (-\infty, -1) you have f(x)=\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x^2-1}

Then for (-1,1) you have ... ?

etc...

Then you can determine the limits quite simply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    You can split the range into 3 sections; (-\infty,-1) \cup (-1,1) \cup (1, \infty)

Then for (-\infty, -1) you have f(x)=\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x^2-1}

Then for (-1,1) you have ... ?

etc...

Then you can determine the limits quite simply.
    how do you get f(x)=\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x^2-1} for (-\infty, -1) i'm not even sure what you do to the modulus because i dont' know what to do for -1 and 1

so far there's 3 different things i can do for the modulused terms

for |x+1||x-1|

you can have the variations of
    positive, positive
    positive, negative(swapping the order doesn't matter since they multiplied together then you can take the factor of -1 out)
    negative, negative

now all i gotta do is piece it together so it seems to me that simply leaving them as is as you have done for the example you gave me is the positive one

so for negative infinity to -1 you can simply rearrange f(x) as 1 which appears to be the positive positive pattern

so for the negative negative that seems to be the 1 to infinity which is then 1 (cus -1x-1 is jus 1)

so the last must be -1 and 1 which is the positive negative pattern so i should get -1 (-1x1=-1)

other than that i don't really know how to work these out "properly"
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    how do you get f(x)=\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x^2-1} for (-\infty, -1) i'm not even sure what you do to the modulus because i dont' know what to do for -1 and 1
    Your values for the domains at the end are correct.

For the one I worked out, it's quite simply the case of taking |x+1| and |x-1| individually, and seeing what equation without the modulus they are equivalent to on the domain x \in (-\infty, -1). Clearly, you (should) know that |x+1|=-(x+1) and |x-1|=-(x+1), and so the product of the two must just be |x+1||x-1|=(x+1)(x-1), and that's the numerator for that domain. Then just repeat similarly for the other two to deduce the answers you found.

ReputationRep:

For the one I worked out, it's quite simply the case of taking |x+1| and |x-1| individually, and seeing what equation without the modulus they are equivalent to on the domain x \in (-\infty, -1). Clearly, you (should) know that |x+1|=-(x+1) and |x-1|=-(x+1), and so the product of the two must just be |x+1||x-1|=(x+1)(x-1), and that's the numerator for that domain. Then just repeat similarly for the other two to deduce the answers you found.
    so whatever sign the 2 defined ranges of where x can be that's what sign i stick in front?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    so whatever sign the 2 defined ranges of where x can be that's what sign i stick in front?
    No... do you know how the graphs of |x+1| and |x-1| look like? You must've sketched them at A-Level at least.

ReputationRep:
    No... do you know how the graphs of |x+1| and |x-1| look like? You must've sketched them at A-Level at least.
    yup, they look like V and the x-1 is a V a bit more to the right
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    yup, they look like V and the x-1 is a V a bit more to the right
    Yeah but you do realise that |x-a| is the same thing as saying x-a for x\geq a, and -(x-a) for x<a?

Same thing applied here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you do realise that |x-a| is the same thing as saying x-a for x\geq a, and -(x-a) for x<a?

Same thing applied here.
    Yup ok so how the -1,1 work?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yup ok so how the -1,1 work?
    Well.. what's is the function |x+1| equivalent to on this interval? What about |x-1|..?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. what's is the function |x+1| equivalent to on this interval? What about |x-1|..?
    0 and 0 if i stick -1 and 1 in?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    0 and 0 if i stick -1 and 1 in?
    OK... not quite... Got absolutely NO idea why you're sticking -1 and 1 in there... (unless I misunderstood what you've asked)

On (-1,1) we have |x+1|=x+1 and |x-1|=-(x-1)

So f(x)=\frac{-(x-1)(x+1)}{x^2-1}=-1 on x \in (-1,1) as you found.

Honestly don't know how much more basic I can go on this.

Having that, you can clearly see what the limits of x \rightarrow (-1)_- and x\rightarrow (-1)_+ are already.

ReputationRep:
    OK... not quite... Got absolutely NO idea why you're sticking -1 and 1 in there... (unless I misunderstood what you've asked)

On (-1,1) we have |x+1|=x+1 and |x-1|=-(x-1)

So f(x)=\frac{-(x-1)(x+1)}{x^2-1}=-1 on x \in (-1,1) as you found.

Honestly don't know how much more basic I can go on this.
    It's just this line which i don't get.
    Do i need to like look at a graph of it or something?
    the graph of |x+1| between -1 and 1 is oh i see?

so if i make whatevers inside || and make it 0 then i can see what the equation is?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's just this line which i don't get.
    Do i need to like look at a graph of it or something?
    the graph of |x+1| between -1 and 1 is oh i see?

so if i make whatevers inside || and make it 0 then i can see what the equation is?
    A graph would help understand, yes.

Also going back to the definition of the modulus; you have \displaystyle |x+1|= \begin{cases}x+1, & x \in (-1, \infty) \\ -(x+1), & x \in (-\infty,-1] \end{cases}

Since x \in (-1,1) \subset (-1,\infty), you have |x+1|=x+1 in this interval.

Get it?

ReputationRep:
    A graph would help understand, yes.

Also going back to the definition of the modulus; you have \displaystyle |x+1|= \begin{cases}x+1, & x \in (-1, \infty) \\ -(x+1), & x \in (-\infty,-1] \end{cases}

Since x \in (-1,1) \subset (-1,\infty), you have |x+1|=x+1 in this interval.

Get it?
    Ye thanks man

ReputationRep:

hol on a sec how come the |x+1||x-1| in the interval -infinity and -1 are both the same thing? wouldn't it be -(x-1) and -(x+1) ??
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    hol on a sec how come the |x+1||x-1| in the interval -infinity and -1 are both the same thing? wouldn't it be -(x-1) and -(x+1) ??
    Sorry, my mistake, |x-1|=-(x-1) in that interval, as you say. Their product still remains positive as stated.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, my mistake, |x-1|=-(x-1) in that interval, as you say. Their product still remains positive as stated.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...95/unknown.png

so these notes from the teacher wrong too?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...95/unknown.png

so these notes from the teacher wrong too?
    Yes, that highlighted part with |x+1| is incorrect. I recommend dropping them an email about it so they can amend it as required. The rest looks fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that highlighted part with |x+1| is incorrect. I recommend dropping them an email about it so they can amend it as required. The rest looks fine.
    Ok thanks for helping as always

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.