Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I've finally bought myself a gym membership with TheGym Group, £16.99 a month was basically the cheapest i could find.
    But.... I am not too keen on the travel distance.
    The gym is 24 miles from where I live, I plan to go there twice each week, that would work out at around 97/98 miles each week on just going to the gym.
    It would only take me 30/35 mins to get there but, do you guys think it's a little too far?
    Gyms around me are really not up to much and they are rather expensive, and I picked TheGym Group because their gym looks nice and big with plenty of equipment.

ReputationRep:
    30 mins isn't that long. Are you walking or paying for transport or...?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck motivating yourself to get out of bed and onto public transport on those cold winter mornings.

ReputationRep:
    I'll drive, the route is mainly on duel carriageway so it wont take long at all. It's just the milage I'm a little worried about, I mean is it over the top to travel 24 miles to and from gym like twice a week haha.
    Got an induction booked for Monday anyway
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    24 miles isn't 'that' far. Particularly if you don't live in a built up area

No reason why that isn't fine. If you're only going to go twice then the petrol expenses wouldn't be too bad but it's still £15 a week i'd guesstimate in petrol (100 miles). So perhaps factor that in to the other gym prices.... If there was a gym nearer that would be say within 10 miles then you'd save over £30 a month in petrol at the 'more expensive' gym.

Do the sums, work it out and commit to that gym. Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    As a rule I didn't drive more than 20 miles for sex, let alone to train :lol: Up to you though really.

ReputationRep:
    Haha 😂 just don’t know what to do for best

ReputationRep:
    My gym is half a mile away and my goal is to have my own garage gym, so that sounds really far to me. But I'm not doing it, you are.The real question is will you really bother to go when it's so far? Extra hour on your evening is a lot if you are busy.

Also, big with plenty of equipment doesn't matter that much. Bigger gym that is crowded is more annoying than smaller gym with a nice number of members.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There's almost certainly a decent gym nearer to you than a TheGym

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.