Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What type or spec of laptop should I get for university use ?

ReputationRep:
    Depends partially on what course you are applying for. You'd probably want a notebook style laptop as that wouldn't be too difficult to lug around though I would stay away from macs as they are quite expensive. An SSD (instead of a hard drive, even though they have less capacity) would be a bonus since that would mean it starts up quickly and you might also want to get something with a battery life greater than 6 hours depending on how many contact hours you have in a week. I wouldn't be too concerned about specs, since anything with more than 4GB of RAM that was made after 2014 will run Microsoft Office and web apps smoothly, which is all you'll need anyway.

Just be careful if you buy it from PC world, as they can add on lots of unnecessary features and your laptop can end up costing £200 more! You don't need a paid antivirus (just get AVG Free with Adblock software) nor do you need MS Office as most universities provide that for free or a very reduced price.

Personally I would get a HP Pavilion or a Lenovo Yoga 510/520 if I were in your position. My HP Pavilion suits me fine, and I can even play games like Skyrim on it so I wouldn't worry about it not being powerful enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindaloovians)
    -snip-
    Would you recommend getting a laptop now, or waiting until closer to uni admissions?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Anything that isn't an Apple

I've had good experiences with Lenovo, and I've had Asus recommended to me by a friend. The Microsoft Surface line is also great (surprisingly so) and if you're particularly planning to carry it around with you on campus probably a good option.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want one for A Levels, it will be better to wait a bit imo. Laptops will possibly be better/cheaper in a few months. Nevertheless, there's no harm in snatching up a good deal if you find one!

ReputationRep:
    You should really state the following:
    - Price range
    - Windows or Mac?
    - What you're gonna use it for the most

Without this information it's gonna be quite hard for anyone to give you advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindaloovians)
    Depends partially on what course you are applying for. You'd probably want a notebook style laptop as that wouldn't be too difficult to lug around though I would stay away from macs as they are quite expensive. An SSD (instead of a hard drive, even though they have less capacity) would be a bonus since that would mean it starts up quickly and you might also want to get something with a battery life greater than 6 hours depending on how many contact hours you have in a week. I wouldn't be too concerned about specs, since anything with more than 4GB of RAM that was made after 2014 will run Microsoft Office and web apps smoothly, which is all you'll need anyway.

Just be careful if you buy it from PC world, as they can add on lots of unnecessary features and your laptop can end up costing £200 more! You don't need a paid antivirus (just get AVG Free with Adblock software) nor do you need MS Office as most universities provide that for free or a very reduced price.

Personally I would get a HP Pavilion or a Lenovo Yoga 510/520 if I were in your position. My HP Pavilion suits me fine, and I can even play games like Skyrim on it so I wouldn't worry about it not being powerful enough!
    Yes, do not want a mac. Battery life would be good my current one is broken. Nice to know about MS office from the unis did not know that one.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Anything that isn't an Apple

I've had good experiences with Lenovo, and I've had Asus recommended to me by a friend. The Microsoft Surface line is also great (surprisingly so) and if you're particularly planning to carry it around with you on campus probably a good option.
    Not apple got it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungabzzz)
    You should really state the following:
    - Price range
    - Windows or Mac?
    - What you're gonna use it for the most

Without this information it's gonna be quite hard for anyone to give you advice
    Okie dokie got it !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.