Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A Workshop in Essential Lab Skills and molecular biology techniques: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifelearning/courses/lab-skills-molecular-biology-techniques-theory-to-bench

Helloo guys, just wanted to post this here quickly, as time is ticking and I wanted to gather as many opinions and reviews on this course for those of you who have quite sufficient first or second-hand insight or that have coursed it previously, I would like to know especially if it's worth the £1000 fee, how are the standards of teaching and what has it lead you or other people you know to achieve career-wise, just an overall take on the experience. As a Health Sciences first-class bachelor's graduate, I was hoping that this short course will provide me employability skills for an MLA or clinical research assistant position and hopefully the practical experience to have a better chance of getting into a cancer research postgrad. This said, how much would this short course help people that want to go far into the clinical science industry? Are there other better alternative courses for my purpose around London area if there are any that you could suggest?

I am interested in what you guys think and have to say about it to back up the reputation of this course.

Thank you in advance, peace and love.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WonderChrissie)
    A Workshop in Essential Lab Skills and molecular biology techniques: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifelearning/co...heory-to-bench

Helloo guys, just wanted to post this here quickly, as time is ticking and I wanted to gather as many opinions and reviews on this course for those of you who have quite sufficient first or second-hand insight or that have coursed it previously, I would like to know especially if it's worth the £1000 fee, how are the standards of teaching and what has it lead you or other people you know to achieve career-wise, just an overall take on the experience. As a Health Sciences first-class bachelor's graduate, I was hoping that this short course will provide me employability skills for an MLA or clinical research assistant position and hopefully the practical experience to have a better chance of getting into a cancer research postgrad. This said, how much would this short course help people that want to go far into the clinical science industry? Are there other better alternative courses for my purpose around London area if there are any that you could suggest?

I am interested in what you guys think and have to say about it to back up the reputation of this course.

Thank you in advance, peace and love.
    This looks like a CPD course so something you would go on when you start a new job that your employer pays for. Apply for the jobs you're interested in if you meet the entry requirements. I wouldn't spend money on this at this stage. This is not going to get you anywhere without work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    This looks like a CPD course so something you would go on when you start a new job that your employer pays for. Apply for the jobs you're interested in if you meet the entry requirements. I wouldn't spend money on this at this stage. This is not going to get you anywhere without work experience.
    Ok, this is good to know, but how about if I registered my interest in a masters degree in Cancer Pharmacology and they require me having sufficient lab skills that I haven't got, is it worth it in that case?
    The course lecturer recommended me to have those skills developed via this CPD course before diving into research in the form of a masters. Is this applicable in all cases of master degrees?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is good to know, but how about if I registered my interest in a masters degree in Cancer Pharmacology and they require me having sufficient lab skills that I haven't got, is it worth it in that case?
    The course lecturer recommended me to have those skills developed via this CPD course before diving into research in the form of a masters. Is this applicable in all cases of master degrees?
    Not at all! Most masters degree students will just have a BSc and so won't have much more experience than a project that's a few months long.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! Most masters degree students will just have a BSc and so won't have much more experience than a project that's a few months long.
    I see. I will have to ask around, it just seems like without lab skills I cannot even grab employers’ attention so there is hardly a chance that they would accept me into one of their positions never mind pay such a course for me. It’s like a vicious circle!

Thank you for your reply.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I see. I will have to ask around, it just seems like without lab skills I cannot even grab employers’ attention so there is hardly a chance that they would accept me into one of their positions never mind pay such a course for me. It’s like a vicious circle!

Thank you for your reply.
    You need to first be clear in your head what you want to do. If you want to do a masters degree then you don't need additional lab skills if you have a bachelors degree. The masters degree will help with employment. If you want to go straight into a job then you need work experience not just another course though that may help.

ReputationRep:
    You need to first be clear in your head what you want to do. If you want to do a masters degree then you don't need additional lab skills if you have a bachelors degree. The masters degree will help with employment. If you want to go straight into a job then you need work experience not just another course though that may help.
    I do know and agree with this, but since there is a very low chance to gain work experience for a graduate, especially as far as I’ve experienced, that is when the confusion sets in and I become more convinced that a masters will widen the scope of my choices. It’s a matter or trial and error of course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.