Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm struggling to get a second referee as I've been emailing past lecturers and people at my placements and I'm getting no response. I have the headteacher of the school I'm working at now as my principal referee so is it okay to have a family friend as the second referee? I'm worried cos I feel like I am pushed for time and don't want to risk losing out by waiting for a response. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A second reference can be a character reference but just make sure it is from someone decent, who can comment on your professionalism ☺️

ReputationRep:
    I thought the principal referee was supposed to be a tutor or lecturer and your secondary referee is usually the headteacher or head of department from a school where you've observed, depending on how long you've been in or out of education.
    This is from the Get into Teaching website:

Principal referee
    • If you’ve been in education during the last five years, you should provide an academic reference from your principal referee – this could be a current or recent tutor
    • If you’ve been out of education for longer than five years, you can provide two professional references if you think an academic reference won’t be relevant

Second referee
    • Your second reference should come from a professional – ideally someone you’ve worked for, or someone who can talk about your skills, personality and suitability for teaching

ReputationRep:
    My primary reference was one of my lectures who can comment on my academic ability and also provide a predicted grade for my degree.

My secondary reference was my Head of 6th form, I appreciate that my head of 6th form may not have seen me much over the last 2 and a bit years but I feel she could provide the most accurate/professional judgement of my character and potential as a teacher.
    Another option may be someone from a placement you may have done over your time at uni?

Just to add, I was provided with a personal advisor from Train to Teach as I am applying for a priority subject (biology), and she said that my references were fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonia10)
    Hi, I'm struggling to get a second referee as I've been emailing past lecturers and people at my placements and I'm getting no response. I have the headteacher of the school I'm working at now as my principal referee so is it okay to have a family friend as the second referee? I'm worried cos I feel like I am pushed for time and don't want to risk losing out by waiting for a response. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
    I don't think a family friend would be accepted. Well they would only be accepted if they have known you in a professional context, i.e. you worked for them or they have taught you in a academic setting. I think it is mandatory to have a university reference if you have recently graduated. If you aren't getting any responses from your lecturers, a call to your university's alumni department might help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

I graduated in 2014 so I know I should have an academic reference but a lot of my old lecturers have left the uni since then and the only 2 left are the ones I can't get hold of and they didn't know me very well even back then. I have tried my placement as well but nothing. I've put the headteacher as my principal since I am in my 3rd year working for him and as we are a growing school, he has been able to observe me in lessons and I've even been his TA.

I have actually worked for the family friend, he gave me a job during the holidays whilst I was studying throughout uni so he does know me in a professional manner as well as someone who can comment on my personality and character.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.