Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I received offers to study MSc in (Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropsychology) and (Cognitive & Clinical Neuroscience) in Essex and Goldsmiths respectively. Which university is better and worth going to? My eventual goal is to do a PhD so which university will boost my chances of staying on for a PhD? Thanks!
    PS: Im regarded as an international student so I don’t know how life is in these 2 cities.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Jessica,

I will start by stating that the University of Essex is located in Colchester, a town in Essex county (about 45 minutes by train to London and 50 minutes by bus from Stansted Airport) and Goldsmiths, University of London is located in London. Colchester is England's oldest recorded town, it is a lively town, where a lot of activities happen, from concerts to art exhibitions.

The University of Essex offers an international campus, with over 180 different nationalities, where you have all the venues you need in the same place. Starting from over 10 restaurants, a theatre, cinema, art gallery, shops, they are all in the same place, so you don't need to travel in order to grab a meal. Additionally, all the lecture halls and seminar classes are all located in the campus, therefore there is no need to travel a long distance to get to a place or another. Whereas, in London, as it is difficult to offer a campus, there is a high possibility of travel expenses. On the other hand, London offers a lot of extracurricular activities, as well as the buzz of the capital and the excitement of living in a metropolis.

When it comes to the courses you have chosen, at University of Essex, our research has been placed in the top 15 in the UK, with 90% rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (Research Excellence Framework, 2014). As well as we are recognised by the ESRC as providing excellent postgraduate training and are an accredited Doctorial Training Centre, offering several studentships. Furthermore, starting from 2018, we will have a new STEM building, especially fitted to facilitate a dedicated science square with new collaborative learning spaces. As well as our multimillion pound Centre for Brain Science, which offers you the chance to network, research and foster opportunities for innovation, training and collaboration.

At Goldsmiths, the University of London, they offer two pathways on this Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience: Cognitive Neuropsychology pathway (research and clinical aspects of cognitive neuroscience) and Methods and Techniques pathway (practical hands-on training). The two pathways allow students to shape their study plan according to their interests and career objectives. As well, the Goldsmiths University offers a number of funded studentship opportunities, including via the ESRC-funded Doctoral Training Partnership. Following the 2014 REF the Times HE rated the department's research intensity in the top 10 of UK Psychology departments. The QS World University subject-level rankings placed the department 18th in the UK, and just outside the top 100 worldwide.

I strongly believe that both of the Universities offer a good programme and high chances of receiving a scholarship to continue your studies and to create meaningful connections to your Masters supervisor and other colleagues from your department. The decision is in your hands, if it’s either the buzz of London at Goldsmiths, or a campus University at Essex which has all the facilities in one place, therefore a high change of a deeper collaboration and networking.

For any kind of questions do not hesitate to message me! Hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.