Turn on thread page Beta

Isaac Physics Question Help: Ball Suspended by a Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Q: A small ball of mass m is suspended by a light thread. When a strong wind blows horizontally, exerting a constant force F on the ball, the thread makes an angle θ to the vertical. Using the terms provided, write an equation linking m, F, g and θ.

I have not been able to work this out, I got the equation (mg/cos(θ)) = squareroot(F^2 + (mg)^2) and do not know where I went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exoid)
    Q: A small ball of mass m is suspended by a light thread. When a strong wind blows horizontally, exerting a constant force F on the ball, the thread makes an angle θ to the vertical. Using the terms provided, write an equation linking m, F, g and θ.

I have not been able to work this out, I got the equation (mg/cos(θ)) = squareroot(F^2 (mg)^2) and do not know where I went wrong.
    Have u drawn out a disgram of the situation.

U should find that u should be able to resolve the forces to find equations which show the forces acting on the ball acting in vertical and horizontal planes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Have u drawn out a disgram of the situation.

U should find that u should be able to resolve the forces to find equations which show the forces acting on the ball acting in vertical and horizontal planes.
    A diagram is given as a hint and I got (mg/cos(θ)) = squareroot(F^2 + (mg)^2), which is wrong, but I do not know where I went wrong so I am stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exoid)
    A diagram is given as a hint and I got (mg/cos(θ)) = squareroot(F^2 + (mg)^2), which is wrong, but I do not know where I went wrong so I am stuck.
    I think u have tried to use pythagoras theorem to simplify the weight and horizontal force.

Although i appreciate what u are trying to do and cant give u a satisfactory explanation as to why it doesnt work i can guide u on the correct way to approach problems like this in the future.

Firstly resolve vertically then horizontally to obtain to equation.

Notice that the question doesnt mention the tension in the final equation. So u have to eliminate the tension force.

Do u have any ideas of how to move forward from here? If not let me know and ill help u a bit more

ReputationRep:
    Fgfff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevenson Brown)
    Fgfff
    Thank you for ur contribution it was really helpful and insightful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    I think u have tried to use pythagoras theorem to simplify the weight and horizontal force.

Although i appreciate what u are trying to do and cant give u a satisfactory explanation as to why it doesnt work i can guide u on the correct way to approach problems like this in the future.

Firstly resolve vertically then horizontally to obtain to equation.

Notice that the question doesnt mention the tension in the final equation. So u have to eliminate the tension force.

Do u have any ideas of how to move forward from here? If not let me know and ill help u a bit more
    Ok, so next I tried resolving vertically then horizontally to obtain the equation, I used F as the horizontal and mg as the vertical and used trig to get θ the angle between the string and the vertical. So I did tan^-1(F/mg) to get θ. This is still incorrect and I am stuck again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exoid)
    Ok, so next I tried resolving vertically then horizontally to obtain the equation, I used F as the horizontal and mg as the vertical and used trig to get θ the angle between the string and the vertical. So I did tan^-1(F/mg) to get θ. This is still incorrect and I am stuck again.
    Ok so heres how i would approach the question.

Firstly resolve vertically, this should give u an equation relating tension and mg.
    Then resolve horizontally to get an equation in terms of F and tension.
    Then u should be able to divide the two equations and get an equation independent of the tensions that relates all the variables mentioned in the question
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Exoid)
    Try writing F = mg tan(θ)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 13, 2017

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.