Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I plan to take Maths (Edexcel) and Physics (AQA) for A-levels but I'm not sure what to do for my third option. Psychology (AQA) and Economics (Edexcel) look the most appealing. Which of these do you think is the most beneficial or interesting?
    However, I'm not sure I'd be able to meet the qualifications of a 6 in English, in which case Chemistry (AQA)? Is taking two sciences too much of a workload?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Many students take 3 STEM subjects (or even 4) and do admirably. It's certainly possible - however whether it's feasible for you is something only you can answer.

Chemistry does open the most possibilities, as you can study either Psychology or Economics at university without having taken those subjects before. You may want to consider taking Further Maths either in lieu of or in addition to Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milathepurpleone)
    I plan to take Maths (Edexcel) and Physics (AQA) for A-levels but I'm not sure what to do for my third option. Psychology (AQA) and Economics (Edexcel) look the most appealing. Which of these do you think is the most beneficial or interesting?
    However, I'm not sure I'd be able to meet the qualifications of a 6 in English, in which case Chemistry (AQA)? Is taking two sciences too much of a workload?
    Chemistry will definitely open the most doors to you, as you don't need either of psychology or economics at A-Level to study them at university but that's certainly not the case for university.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Those are the subjects I do hahah. Physics, Maths, Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Many students take 3 STEM subjects (or even 4) and do admirably. It's certainly possible - however whether it's feasible for you is something only you can answer.

Chemistry does open the most possibilities, as you can study either Psychology or Economics at university without having taken those subjects before. You may want to consider taking Further Maths either in lieu of or in addition to Chemistry.
    Thanks for replying! And yeah, that's part of the reason why I would choose Chemistry. I have been thinking about taking Further Maths but again I'm worried about the workload as well as it taking up slots in my schedule for extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    Chemistry will definitely open the most doors to you, as you don't need either of psychology or economics at A-Level to study them at university but that's certainly not the case for university.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Those are the subjects I do hahah. Physics, Maths, Chemistry

Thanks for replying!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milathepurpleone)
    Thanks for replying! And yeah, that's part of the reason why I would choose Chemistry. I have been thinking about taking Further Maths but again I'm worried about the workload as well as it taking up slots in my schedule for extracurriculars.
    Most students consider Maths and Further Maths less equivalent work than two other unrelated A-levels (such as Physics and Chemistry). Additionally, Further Maths is much more useful in applying to any Physical Science, Engineering, Maths, Computer Science, or Economics courses than any other "extracurricular" you could do, except maybe the BMO (and you could certainly cope with FM if you can cope with the BMO, I think).

It's well worth considering, particularly if you think you may want to apply to Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.