Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

weird to talk about my interest in female genitalia at medicine interview ? Watch

• View Poll Results: Weird to talk about interest in female genitalia during medicine interview?
    Yes
    82.46%
    No
    17.54%

ReputationRep:
    No, this isn't a troll

I love human anatomy (particularly the female reproductive system (I don't find the male reproductive system that interesting))and since interviews are coming up I felt it would do no harm to plan out the main points and interests I might talk about during the interviews if asked

Would it be weird to mention these interests? would the interviewer be uncomfortable?
    I would think it shows maturity (I am a young applicant - 16 atm)

I didn't specifically mention my interest in obstetrics and gynecology in my personal statement, as I thought it was something that would be better talked about in person

ReputationRep:
    Thats all they talk about at those interviews.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notoo)
    No, this isn't a troll

I love human anatomy (particularly the female reproductive system (I don't find the male reproductive system that interesting))and since interviews are coming up I felt it would do no harm to plan out the main points and interests I might talk about during the interviews if asked

Would it be weird to mention these interests? would the interviewer be uncomfortable?

I didn't specifically mention my interest in obstetrics and gynecology in my personal statement, as I thought it was something that would be better talked about in person
    It’s going to be very difficult to talk about that without coming across very badly. I would personally always avoid talking about genitalia in an interview.

We tend to avoid advising applicants to mention specific fields of interest as you’re better talking about the general points of why you want to go into medicine. The vast majority will change their mind several times before they actually settle into specialty training.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    do NOT start a conversation about this :rolleyes:

if the interviewer asks you an obstetric question etc then by all means show your detailed mastery of this area... otherwise avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I am just curious what is your gender?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezaz001)
    I am just curious what is your gender?
    male
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notoo)
    male
    Then definitely do not talk about your interest in female anatomy. There is no way that the stress of interview won’t make that come across as completely creepy.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go ahead

ReputationRep:
    dont do it, it only takes you to word something wrong before you come across as 100% weird.

ReputationRep:
    it would be equally weird if a female candidate suddenly started going on about male anatomy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it would be equally weird if a female candidate suddenly started going on about male anatomy
    Yeah. There is no need to be so weirdly specific and you’d be hard pressed to come up with a valid reason to even use the word genitalia in an interview

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against this actually.

I think anyone medically trained draws a big distinction between 'reproductive system' and 'genitalia'. The vagina is by far the most boring part of the female reproductive system, after all. Being interested in the science of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy... doesn't sound so weird. A lot of people are.

But i would echo the above in that you shouldn't sound like you think you know your speciality already, because you don't and you'll sound childish. Nor should you blurt it out obviously, but then any interest would sound weird if you did that. But if specifically asked: which particular area of medicine are you especially interested in' I don't think 'I'm actually really interested in the reproductive system and pregnancy' sounds weird at all.

If actually your interest is, like, just labia and vaginas... yeah don't mention that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'm not against this actually.

I think anyone medically trained draws a big distinction between 'reproductive system' and 'genitalia'. The vagina is by far the most boring part of the female reproductive system, after all. Being interested in the science of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy... doesn't sound so weird. A lot of people are.

But i would echo the above in that you shouldn't sound like you think you know your speciality already, because you don't and you'll sound childish. Nor should you blurt it out obviously, but then any interest would sound weird if you did that. But if specifically asked: which particular area of medicine are you especially interested in' I don't think 'I'm actually really interested in the reproductive system and pregnancy' sounds weird at all.

If actually your interest is, like, just labia and vaginas... yeah don't mention that :p:
    Can u diagnose me

ReputationRep:
    It's not weird to have that as a scientific interest but it definitely would be weird to mention at interview. If you get asked a relevant question for example about obs & gynae or about relevant further reading you've done then use that as an opportunity to show off your knowledge but otherwise don't mention it.

ReputationRep:
    No. I honestly can't even believe this question needs to be answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notoo)
    No, this isn't a troll

Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, speaking about the reproductive cycle isn't so bad. I did a part of it owing to an interest in Regenerative Medicine and stem cells.

Actual vaginas tho? Erm...maybe not. Especially as a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notoo)
    No, this isn't a troll

how on earth are you 16 and applying? 16 would imply you're in your first year of sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    It’s a shame that we now live in a society where you can’t express a mature interest in a fascinating area without being branded as a creep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.