Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Post deleted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habeeb H Patel)
    When silicon tetrachloride is added to water, the following reaction occurs:
    SiCl4+2H2O=SiO2+4HCL
    1.2g of impure silicon tetrachloride was dissolved in excess water and the resulting solution was made up to 250cm^3. A 25^3 portion was the titrated against 0.10 moldm-3 sodium hydroxide and 18.7cm^3 of the alkali were required. What was the percentage purity of the silicon tetrachloride.

I know how to work it out, but dont understand why NaOH has the same number of moles as HCl....... or is that just an assumption because you dont know the ratio between them
    Write out the balanced equation for the reaction between NaOH and HCl.

U should notice something that will answer ur question.

Any other questions let me know.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Write out the balanced equation for the reaction between NaOH and HCl.

U should notice something that will answer ur question.

Any other questions let me know.

But why do you have to write out the equation for HCl and NaOH, when the question is about SiCl4.

Also can you help me with this question aswell. An ionic compound has the empircal formula H4N2O3. Suggest the formulae of the ions present. I know N is nitrate but why is H ammonium

ReputationRep:
    But why do you have to write out the equation for HCl and NaOH, when the question is about SiCl4.
    U are titrating with NaOH, and u know that NaOH reacts with HCl, HCl is one of the products of ur reaction so it will react with the NaOH.

ReputationRep:
    Also can you help me with this question aswell. An ionic compound has the empircal formula H4N2O3. Suggest the formulae of the ions present. I know N is nitrate but why is H ammonium
    Nitrate ion is NO3, so the leftover atoms are N and H4. NH4 is the ammonium ion.

I have left out charges so u dont get confused but dont neglect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    U are titrating with NaOH, and u know that NaOH reacts with HCl, HCl is one of the products of ur reaction so it will react with the NaOH.
    Thank you again, the HCL in the original equation is 4HCL, so you find the moles between the NaOH and HCl, then you divide the no. of moles in HCl by 4, to get to SiCl4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.