Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck on this question.

An archer hits the bullseye with a probability 0.6. She shoots 20 arrows at a time.
    a) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows. She shoots 12 sets of 20 arrows.
    b) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows in 7 of the 12 sets of arrows.
    c) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows in fewer than 6 sets of arrows

I've done similar questions before with my calculator but this is more complicated. The book says the answers (a- 0.8725 b- 0.01027 c-0.0002407) but i have no idea how to get there.

Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BusinessPug)

An archer hits the bullseye with a probability 0.6. She shoots 20 arrows at a time.
    a) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows. She shoots 12 sets of 20 arrows.
    b) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows in 7 of the 12 sets of arrows.
    c) Find the probability that she hits with at least 50% of her arrows in fewer than 6 sets of arrows

I've done similar questions before with my calculator but this is more complicated. The book says the answers (a- 0.8725 b- 0.01027 c-0.0002407) but i have no idea how to get there.

Any help is appreciated

So you can define the question using a binomial distribution: X ~ B(20, 0.6)
    This should help you get started for part (a)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius_)
    So you can define the question using a binomial distribution: X ~ B(20, 0.6)
    This should help you get started for part (a)
    I've tried doing that but it doesn't give me the correct answer.
    I tried a few ways. I tried that with 10 as X and then with 120 as X and 240 as N

ReputationRep:
    I've tried doing that but it doesn't give me the correct answer.
    I tried a few ways. I tried that with 10 as X and then with 120 as X and 240 as N
    Using X ~ B(20, 0.6),

Doing P(X>= 10) gives 0.8725.

Remember that P(X>= 10) = 1 - P(X<=9)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caecilius_)
    using x ~ b(20, 0.6),

doing p(x>= 10) gives 0.8725.

Remember that p(x>= 10) = 1 - p(x<=9)
    Thank you, it was so obvious and i couldn't see it

ReputationRep:

Any help is appreciated
    Also, the "She shoots 12 sets of 20 arrows." is for part (b) right?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it was so obvious and i couldn'tt see it
    no problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius_)
    Also, the "She shoots 12 sets of 20 arrows." is for part (b) right?
    I'm not sure cause I didn't get that far :ahee:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.