Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do English Literature at uni but I have no idea as to what kind of work experience I would need to do to support my application.

Does anyone have any experience or information to help me out?

Thanks! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

In my application for English literature I spoke about volunteering at a library and writing for my local newspaper. I've also been trying to get work experience at a publishing house to hopefully do before, or during uni.

Anything writing based or in the field of literature or arts would be helpful but work experience really isn't necessary for a lit application, they're more interested in some academic analysis of texts.

If you find something, I'd recommend bolting it on towards the end with other extra/super curricula and just putting how it has helped rather than making it a big part of your statement.

Hope this helps X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bxcks_)
    I'm looking to do English Literature at uni but I have no idea as to what kind of work experience I would need to do to support my application.

Does anyone have any experience or information to help me out?

Thanks! x
    Something as simple as a blog where you can post about anything really helps and acts as a good conversation starter. Focus less on your course and what you want to do after; if you’re studying English Lit to be a teacher than get some experience working with kids, if you want to be a writer than write for a school newspaper or a blog! hope that helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.