Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ScienceGeek1878's (GYG) road to A*A*A Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!...

So I decided to start a GYG blog. The main reason for this is because I just love reading other peoples, and if it helps me stay motivated then who am I to say no?!

My A levels:
    Maths (Edexcel) - achieved a B at AS, with 87 ums and 93 ums in Core 1 & 2 respectively. I got an E in S1 which I find baffling, as I am currently getting high B's in practice papers, but I guess this just highlights how little I worked last Year!
    Geography (AQA) - My weakest subject by far, struggling to see why I chose it over chemistry/further maths. Getting an A in geography is my ultimate goal, and I'm going to work as hard as possible for it so here's hoping! I only got a low C at AS but we only had a teacher from February onwards so I'm hopeful of better!....
    Physics - My favourite subject! I absolutely love Physics, A2 has just furthered this. I only got a C last Year but again I think this just highlights how little work I done last year. I've gotten an A* in all but one of the 5 topic tests so far.

Predicted grades:
    Maths-A*
    Physics-A*
    Geography-B
    Evidently, these are pretty generous predicted grades, but this just makes me want to work harder to prove my teachers right!

Goals:

My ultimate goal is to get into university but mainly I just want to stay motivated as much as possible and achieve the best grades I can. My Uni choices are Lancaster, Bath, Bristol, Southampton and Manchester for Physics (theoretical at 1/2). Yet to receive any offers but I'll be sure to update as I do!

That's it for now, I'll try to update this daily and I'll come back and tidy this opening list up a bit when I get a minute.

Thanks for reading ^-^ (if anyone even does lolz)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    Hello all!...

So I decided to start a GYG blog. The main reason for this is because I just love reading other peoples, and if it helps me stay motivated then who am I to say no?!

My A levels:
    Maths (Edexcel) - achieved a B at AS, with 87 ums and 93 ums in Core 1 & 2 respectively. I got an E in S1 which I find baffling, as I am currently getting high B's in practice papers, but I guess this just highlights how little I worked last Year!
    Geography (AQA) - My weakest subject by far, struggling to see why I chose it over chemistry/further maths. Getting an A in geography is my ultimate goal, and I'm going to work as hard as possible for it so here's hoping! I only got a low C at AS but we only had a teacher from February onwards so I'm hopeful of better!....
    Physics - My favourite subject! I absolutely love Physics, A2 has just furthered this. I only got a C last Year but again I think this just highlights how little work I done last year. I've gotten an A* in all but one of the 5 topic tests so far.

Predicted grades:
    Maths-A*
    Physics-A*
    Geography-B
    Evidently, these are pretty generous predicted grades, but this just makes me want to work harder to prove my teachers right!

Goals:

My ultimate goal is to get into university but mainly I just want to stay motivated as much as possible and achieve the best grades I can. My Uni choices are Lancaster, Bath, Bristol, Southampton and Manchester for Physics (theoretical at 1/2). Yet to receive any offers but I'll be sure to update as I do!

That's it for now, I'll try to update this daily and I'll come back and tidy this opening list up a bit when I get a minute.

Thanks for reading ^-^ (if anyone even does lolz)
    Michael! Why didn't you tell me about this.:teeth:

Let me know how you get on.:yep:

P.S. Remember Una:moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Michael! Why didn't you tell me about this.:teeth:

Let me know how you get on.:yep:

P.S. Remember Una:moon:
    It was a very spontaneous idea!

I will always remember Una, "Famous geographers always remember to PEE" in that canny Irish accent 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! With both getting your desired grades and getting your university offers! Which university are you hoping to go to most? What attracted you to physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Good luck! With both getting your desired grades and getting your university offers! Which university are you hoping to go to most? What attracted you to physics?
    Thank you! I'm undecided at the moment. I loved Lancaster when I visited it, but the physics department and Manchester is amazing! Getting taught by Brian Cox would be pretty cool!...

Regarding what attracted me to physics I don't know really 😂 I used to hate it and love maths, but when it became more 'Mathsy' I started to enjoy it. I guess I just find it fascinating...

ReputationRep:
    12/11/17 - Update

Today was very productive, for a Sunday at least...

I done my C3 trig questions booklet, which constipated of about 35 marks of questions so say 40 minutes. I then finished my Gravitational fields stretch and challenge exercise, which took me far longer than it should have but was very interesting so I'm not too fussed. I then made some flash cards for Water and Carbon cycles, I am to have all my notes and flash cards for all the modules I've done in geography by Christmas. Now I'm going to have some food and then get started on some gravitational fields textbook questions. Then have an early night for what will be an eventful week I expect.

I have a topic test on gravitational fields in Wednesday and then a big test on everything we've done in C3 so far on Friday. I should also get my mock result from what I done over half term in geography too so I'll be sure to update this as often as possible this week!

Let's do this!.

ReputationRep:
    PS. Anyone that would like to be tagged just let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20171113_212802.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  498.4 KBUpdate- Monday 13/11/17

Today was another semi productive day! I had 3 hours of lessons from 10.30 to 2.30 with an hour lunch. I got home about 3.30ish and did some C3 logs questions in preparation for the test on Friday. I also got my notes written for gravitational fields and I'm going to get the textbook questions done tomorrow in prep for the test Wednesday. I also came across some really good notes for each geography module on PMT so I'm going to get comfortable with them in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow is another hectic day, I have a half hour M1 lesson, followed by a 90 minute geography lesson. Then I have a 3 and a half hour break where I'm going to do a tonne of C3 and Gravitational fields questions. Then I have a physics lesson.

That's it for another day, got to say this blog is doing it's job in terms of keeping me motivated to actually do work, hopefully I can keep it up

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the sheer lack of updates....

I was incredibly stressed towards the back end of last week and didn't get a minute.

Since my last update-
    I done the three class tests, physics went appallingly bad, I forgot how to do so many easy things it was astonishingly bad, came out with a C in that but I think I could have easily gotten an A on a different day. Maths went very well I came out with 33/35, and the two marks I dropped were pretty easy marks too. Geography I feel went well but I haven't had it back yet so time will tell. I did get back a homework past paper from half term tho and I got a high B which I'm quite happy with.

I also had a job interview Saturday which I Got (yay) so hopefully more life updates to add into this soon.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with everything! and I totally understand how you feel about physics! It can be hard but just keep working on it and you will achieve that A*, alongside your other predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonicaD)
    Good luck with everything! and I totally understand how you feel about physics! It can be hard but just keep working on it and you will achieve that A*, alongside your other predicted grades
    Thank you! and yes it is difficult at times but I really enjoy doing problems so I think I'll get there eventually, especially having just adopted to use IsaacPhysics which is great!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! and yes it is difficult at times but I really enjoy doing problems so I think I'll get there eventually, especially having just adopted to use IsaacPhysics which is great!
    Yes I agree, but I really do enjoy physics! omg my teacher made us make accounts and there are soo many questions per topic! it seems like so much effort! Do you find it useful? I don't know, I just prefer reading the content then doing past paper questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree, but I really do enjoy physics! omg my teacher made us make accounts and there are soo many questions per topic! it seems like so much effort! Do you find it useful? I don't know, I just prefer reading the content then doing past paper questions.
    I think it's very useful. I can know a topic inside out and then get an exam question and be startled. I think it's more application of knowledge than actual knowledge, for me anyway. One thing I need to do more is take more time to read and understand the question instead of rushing!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm undecided at the moment. I loved Lancaster when I visited it, but the physics department and Manchester is amazing! Getting taught by Brian Cox would be pretty cool!...

Regarding what attracted me to physics I don't know really 😂 I used to hate it and love maths, but when it became more 'Mathsy' I started to enjoy it. I guess I just find it fascinating...
    Hi I have a friend at Manny Physics, you barley get taught by Brian Cox and apparently he's not that good at lectures (weird I know). Nonetheless its a amazing course at a great uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's very useful. I can know a topic inside out and then get an exam question and be startled. I think it's more application of knowledge than actual knowledge, for me anyway. One thing I need to do more is take more time to read and understand the question instead of rushing!
    omg, that is literally me. I know content inside out but I can get so stuck on questions :confused: it's so frustrating! I just struggle to apply my knowledge but thank you for letting me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Hi I have a friend at Manny Physics, you barley get taught by Brian Cox and apparently he's not that good at lectures (weird I know). Nonetheless its a amazing course at a great uni.
    I'm aware the number of lectures he gives is pretty low, I'm sure all the other lecturers are amazing though (they are all experts after all)

How does your friend find the city? I'm from Liverpool and I found there to be A LOT of people on the open day at Manchester which is kinda putting me off the uni.

ReputationRep:
    omg, that is literally me. I know content inside out but I can get so stuck on questions :confused: it's so frustrating! I just struggle to apply my knowledge but thank you for letting me know!
    Let's just pray for an entire paper of 'Define this... Define that' haha

Submit reply
Updated: November 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.