The Student Room Group

UK most overweight country in Western Europe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41953530

Britain is the most obese nation in Western Europe, with rates rising faster than any other developed nation.

Obesity rates have doubled over the past two decades, and 63% of UK adults are overweight, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Britain is now sixth heaviest - "considerably worse" than the rest of the 35-member club of wealthy nations.

The UK's comparatively high adolescent drunkenness rate is also a key concern. However, the OECD Health at a Glance report said the overall health and life expectancy of Britons remained average - aided by a reduction in smoking and adult drinking - despite a noted shortage in hospital beds and staff.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is terrible.

No need to sugarcoat it...

Spoiler

This is what happens when you promote fat acceptance
Original post by Ninja Squirrel

Britain is the most obese nation in Western Europe, with rates rising faster than any other developed nation.

Obesity rates have doubled over the past two decades, and 63% of UK adults are overweight, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Britain is now sixth heaviest - "considerably worse" than the rest of the 35-member club of wealthy nations.

The UK's comparatively high adolescent drunkenness rate is also a key concern. However, the OECD Health at a Glance report said the overall health and life expectancy of Britons remained average - aided by a reduction in smoking and adult drinking - despite a noted shortage in hospital beds and staff.

What's new about this?
Reply 4
Sad, literally America-tier!
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
um?? chekc ur thin privilege. u arent meant to call someone "f*t" just cuz they don't #conform to ur #patreonormative standards !!

beign plus size isnt a choice. it is metabolism. maybe u shoud discuss the real elephant in the room - anorexics. better to be plus size than looking like a Ukrainian in a gulag.

Sent from my iPhone with TapaTalk

Sent from my Nintendo DS
I'm someone who gained a lot of weight in a short period of time and became obese. It was a really **** experience. Getting out of breath going up a flight of stairs, having to sit down to tie shoelaces, finding that you can't get laid easily, etc.

Which is why I did something about it and lost the weight. So I was miffed why so many others don't take control over their own weight and lives.

But when you look at modern British culture, it is easy to understand. Many Brits genuinely believe sitting on your backside all day in an office, only taking breaks to waddle to the toilet or reach for a doughnut constitutes hard work. Many drive everywhere because they are too idle to walk or cycle. We wallow in a capitalist culture that promotes instant gratification and excessive consumption. And then we teach our kids these habits, creating an even fatter generation of youngsters.
*Reads post whilst happily eating bag of crisps*
**** off nazi scum (i can tell u r a nazi cuz i no ur avatar is that nazi war criminal)

ur orange hitler 2.0 is obeser than i am

Ah yes! That well known nazi war criminal - The third reich penguin.
Original post by Laissez‒faire

I don't think that's the main cause of it, but it is a factor. I don't think fat people should be shamed, but they shouldn't be told that they're healthy. Imagine if we had a "Worn Car Tyre Acceptance Movement" or a "No Roof Tile Acceptance Movement"? When you think about it, fat acceptance is basically the same thing - pretending there isn't a problem when there clearly is one.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel

I would think it’s more to do with education, work/life balance and a lack of sporting activity
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't think that's the main cause of it, but it is a factor. I don't think fat people should be shamed, but they shouldn't be told that they're healthy. Imagine if we had a "Worn Car Tyre Acceptance Movement" or a "No Roof Tile Acceptance Movement"? When you think about it, fat acceptance is basically the same thing - pretending there isn't a problem when there clearly is one.

Original post by paul514
I would think it’s more to do with education, work/life balance and a lack of sporting activity

I think it's partly due to the fact that the UK is just a boring ass country. It's relatively flat and not much of a landscape to explore. The weather is crap most of the time so people cba to go outside and there just isn't much incentive to stay fit really.

This.

All the 'health at all sizes' tosh, too. Yeah, you don't have to look like a ripped Instagram model, but obesity isn't healthy. If you've no problems or complications at that size then it's only a matter of time and hamburgers.
UK is thicc af
We all curvy.
Reply 16
um?? chekc ur thin privilege. u arent meant to call someone "f*t" just cuz they don't #conform to ur #patreonormative standards !!

beign plus size isnt a choice. it is metabolism. maybe u shoud discuss the real elephant in the room - anorexics. better to be plus size than looking like a Ukrainian in a gulag.

Sent from my iPhone with TapaTalk

I can't tell if you're joking or not?
Fatties everywhere.

Sent from my Nintendo DS

Not sure that going Diet on the cokes is working. Sorta like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.
>real elephant in the room
>anorexics

kek

Quick Reply

Latest