Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK most overweight country in Western Europe Watch

    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    This is sad
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    So they should just eat less as they require less calories?

    It isnt really a unfair assumption, if you are eating more than you need then that is you being greedy
    Some people binge eat due to mental issues. Are they being greedy?
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Exercise doesnt contribute that much to whether people lose or gain weight
    Do people really believe this? I know the body isn't a physics formula, but broadly speaking, energy out ∝ energy in. If more energy is going in than out, you put weight on, if visa versa, you lose weight. The only thing that complicates matters is that as you lose fat, you gain muscle, but if you weigh 25 stone, chances are you are stronger than me. I certainly couldn't lump 12 stone around on my back all day long.
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)
    Some people binge eat due to mental issues. Are they being greedy?


    No but they have a underlying problem which is causing them to eat lots and become obese, however these people should work on getting better which will then lead to them slowly losing the weight as they will binge less (though this is the least important issue of someone with mental health issue, and getting better mentally is the most important priority, I know this factor from first hand experience, I did suffer from severe mental health issues for a period of time and eating was one of my ways of 'coping')

    Though imo the majority of people who are obese didnt get there because of their mental health issues
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    No but they have a underlying problem which is causing them to eat lots and become obese, however these people should work on getting better which will then lead to them slowly losing the weight as they will binge less (though this is the least important issue of someone with mental health issue, and getting better mentally is the most important priority, I know this factor from first hand experience, I did suffer from severe mental health issues for a period of time and eating was one of my ways of 'coping'

    Though imo the majority of people who are obese didnt get there because of their mental health issues
    I do agree that the majority of people didn't get their due to mental health issues, but I don't think it's fair to generalise everyone as 'greedy' as there are many different ways people become obese. But yes, a lot of people do get it due to their diet, which out government should think about
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Do people really believe this? I know the body isn't a physics formula, but broadly speaking, energy out ∝ energy in. If more energy is going in than out, you put weight on, if visa versa, you lose weight. The only thing that complicates matters is that as you lose fat, you gain muscle, but if you weigh 25 stone, chances are you are stronger than me. I certainly couldn't lump 12 stone around on my back all day long.
    Maybe I should of said this better, the majority of calories burnt by a person are due to 'living' and general lifestyle (your TDEE), exercise contributes a small amount in comparison which can be offset easily.

    A well planned 'diet' calorie wise with no exercise can lead to someone controlling their weight (whether that be to lose, gain or maintain)

    But even a slightly poorly planed diet calorie wise can (and does for people that use the excuse 'oh I go to the gym but cant lose weight) easily offset any exercise that people realistically do outside of their TDEE
    Offline

    5
    ReputationRep:
    Not surprised. With how stressful it is living in the UK and to find a job; being stressed leads to eating as it’s comfort food
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)
    I do agree that the majority of people didn't get their due to mental health issues, but I don't think it's fair to generalise everyone as 'greedy' as there are many different ways people become obese. But yes, a lot of people do get it due to their diet, which out government should think about

    Generalisations have to be made to an extent though otherwise a problem that affects the majority of a sample would never be identified and a plan to try and resolve the issue would never be made

    If 80% of people are obese due to greed and the other 20% are due to other things it only makes sense to try and target that 80% first, especially if in the other 20% there is another issue (ie mental health) that needs to be resolved first (and may even solve their own weight problems)
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nads96)
    Not surprised. With how stressful it is living in the UK and to find a job; being stressed leads to eating as it’s comfort food
    Other than for a small percentage of people it is fairly stress free living in the uk, it is peoples own decisions normally that causes them stress
    Offline

    5
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Other than for a small percentage of people it is fairly stress free living in the uk, it is peoples own decisions normally that causes them stress
    Actually, it is stressful. The conservatives are making people life’s hell. Finding a job is difficult, getting decent money. There are many reasons that are either political or economical that are affecting people, I.e. feeling stressed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nads96)
    Actually, it is stressful. The conservatives are making people life’s hell. Finding a job is difficult, getting decent money. There are many reasons that are either political or economical that are affecting people, I.e. feeling stressed
    The majority of people in the uk have a job? and a good amount of people who dont are expecting too much from a job which narrows what they are willing to take and hence making it harder for them to find employment.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Get of your asses and eat less junk.

    You could also fine parents with obese kids. That's where it starts. The number of fat families I see in McDonald's...
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    The solution is not to change the foods.

    Meat, sourdough bread, potatoes and chips are generally harmless simple foods.

    A solution would be to replace the sunflower oil, soybean oil, vegetable oil, margarine, corn oil with healthier fat lie butter and coconut oil. Even the sugar isn't that bad compared to things like sunflower oil.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.