Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I’m currently in Year 11 - doing my GCSEs. I’m pretty much aiming for just Cs, and if I got a B or two, that’d be cool. I have many reasons for this though, one main reason being:

- The entry requirements for the sixthform and the courses I want to do/attend are Cs and above. So I’d still have the grades needed to continue onto further education.

Another being:

- I don’t want to stress myself out aiming for As and Bs, as I get stressed quite easily, and I don’t deal with it well. And like I said earlier, I only actually need Cs.

I’ve been told I’m just being lazy/doubting myself and in a way made to feel guilty for only aiming for Cs. Do you think it’s okay or do you think I’m just being lazy?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    So I’m currently in Year 11 - doing my GCSEs. I’m pretty much aiming for just Cs, and if I got a B or two, that’d be cool. I have many reasons for this though, one main reason being:

- The entry requirements for the sixthform and the courses I want to do/attend are Cs and above. So I’d still have the grades needed to continue onto further education.

Another being:

- I don’t want to stress myself out aiming for As and Bs, as I get stressed quite easily, and I don’t deal with it well. And like I said earlier, I only actually need Cs.

I’ve been told I’m just being lazy/doubting myself and in a way made to feel guilty for only aiming for Cs. Do you think it’s okay or do you think I’m just being lazy?
    - Your GCSEs will be important if you plan on applying to GCSE-heavy universities that basically use a point system for how many As/A*s you get.

- GCSEs aren't used by universities solely to see if you meet their minimum requirements; they still form part of your application.

- You still have plenty of time to prepare for your exams (I only started 1 month before)

- You will be in far more stress to do well in A levels, and even more stress if you go to university or work. It's best if you prepare and get use to the stress whilst the school work is still simple. (To be honest, GCSEs are quite shallow. You barely learn about the subject)

- Yes, you are lazy for not doing work because you don't want stress.

ReputationRep:

Another being:

School isn't about what minimum you can get away with, it's about the extent of your abilities. How good can you be, you can doubt this or whatever but with time you'll understand that you want to do as well as possible

ReputationRep:
    Just do your best and no, don't stress out. Your mental health is far more important than your grades.

I didn't do that well at school at all and I'm now predicted to graduate with a first class degree from a fairly well respected University and just got onto a really competitive funded Masters course. As long as you have a C in English/Maths/Science you'll be fine.

Obviously it's somewhat dependant on what your ambitions are, for example, if you wanted to go to a prestigious university then they may take into account your grades and want higher than a C but generally speaking it's unlikely that getting C grades will hinder you in later life.

Another option would be to seek some support to manage your stress better as life is full of unexpected stress - unfortunately it only increases with age (although saying that, the teenage years are bloody difficult for a multitude of reasons).

Learning how to cope with stress is always a good tool to have in the bag and if you crack that then maybe you'll find your able to be more ambitious in the future!

Good luck with your exams
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Another being:

Aim for what you feel comfortable with. If you feel you can achieve an A or A*, by all means aim for it. Just bear in mind that better grades do look better when applying to uni or jobs, so don't limit yourself to Cs if you're capable of more. Your grades will stick with you for the rest of your life - you don't want to look back when you were older and wish you aimed higher!

If you're in doubt, speak to your teachers as to what would be a realistic target.

ReputationRep:

Another being:

I think the fact that you've made a post about your grades/academia clearly shows you that care and can achieve a lot more than just Cs.

However, if you feel that aiming for As and Bs will put you under TOO much stress, then don't push yourself too hard. But, realise that stress can be a good thing.

Ultimately, it's your choice. These grades will follow you for the rest of your academic career, not just for further education. This will be especially relevant if you feel A-Levels/FE isn't the right thing for you.

ReputationRep:
    rel8able username.

& well, try not to think about achieving a specific grade. i was targeted all As and because the 'friends' i have were all targetted a* (and my parents expecting stuff) i wanted mainly a*s too but my targets made me feel like i couldnt and i never really tried during mocks (bc im lazy) and it really did effect me mentally where i'd be pretty down and cry a lot during the months leading up to my exams (idk why im saying this cause my friends know about this account but who cares) because i felt like a failure whenever i got c's and b's in the march mocks (and then my friends made fun of this too which didn;t help even though it was a joke). thing is, gcses aren't hard as long as you're gonna put in the effort-i managed to turn around my grades quick enough and even got a 9 in english lit when i got 8/34 in one of the mock questions we did-which i never expected-and think about it this way, youve got way longer than i had-so you've got more than what you need to do even better than just Cs-but if they're all you want then that's totally fine too, it's just that getting higher grades certainly wouldn't hurt, and you probably are capable-don't try settling for less.

just try your best bc when i was in early year 11 i was thinkin about how nervous i was gonna be for my gcses and how scary results day would feel but, what really happened was that the exams just felt like something we'd do in class-apart from my further maths exam where i panicked and cried after it lol, still got an A* so thats a good thing to remember: even if it feels like u might have failed, u probably haven't as long as you know you put in the effort so dont worry--gcses are kinda stressful theres a lot of pressure from all the subjects you gotta do but you'll get through it this got really ramble-y im sorry, i just thought some personal experience could help letting you know it's normal to be stressed-just don't place too much emphasis on the grades and more about what you can do to make sure you don't lose marks or something.

ReputationRep:
    While aiming for the floor does mean you can't miss, I wouldn't suggest doing less work 'cause you only want Cs in case you **** up and end up with less than Cs. Cs are not the floor, if you don't work and something goes awry... hm.

The trick with your aiming tho is you can do the work without getting stressed because you know it doesn't matter to you if you miss the As and Cs. It's not the work in itself that's stressful so much as what it represents to people.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep hitting 3, then yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.