Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mini-pupillage non-law student on Monday - help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an assessed mini for 2 days starting Monday, as a non-law student I have NO idea what to expect or what to do.
    Any help?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately different sets approach assessed mini pupillages in different ways, so it'll be difficult for anyone here to give you solid guidance as to what to expect. Even the nature of the assessments differs, with some sets actually giving you formal work to do, whilst for others the 'assessment' element is little more than the barristers that you are with filling in feedback forms at the end of your time with them.

I wouldn't worry about it. As a non law student you're not going to be expected to recall law (I don't expect my mini pupils to do that irrespective of their background), and anyone assessing you should be aware that you have not yet studied law and take that into account. Though in any event assessed mini pupillages shouldn't assess your knowledge of the law. They may test practical skills such as drafting if you have done the bar course (which obviously you haven't), but in the main the assessment will be more general. All you really need to do is ensure that you are professional, polite and enthusiastic, and just do your best with any tasks that you are given. You also can and should ask any questions that you have, though obviously wait for appropriate times to do that. Generally speaking you can't revise or prepare for a mini pupillage save for potentially brushing up on the basics in certain areas of law (which obviously you can't do). The barristers assessing you will generally be looking at qualities that you have that you either have or you don't, and whilst I'd understand that that could make you nervous, it really should do the opposite. Just be yourself, albeit on your best behaviour, and try to learn and enjoy it. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.