Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and have done A levels in all humanities in June2016 and got A*A*A. I want to apply for foundation medicine courses (6years) that are designed for those without a science background. I would now have to apply for 2019 entry meaning I have 1 year to make an application and then another to do whatever... is it possible that as part of my application work exp I could do a relevant health care (e.g. working in a care home) apprenticeship for 12 months? Would it be the same as doing voluntary/paid job? except it just falls under an apprenticeship so I'd get a qualification in it. Or does this seem like a bad idea/give off a bad impression?

ReputationRep:
    Get a HCA job in a hospital, you'd learn a lot more both clinically and with regards to what working for the NHS is like. Most entry level HCA jobs offer training at the start of employment and having done A-Levels already, with plans to study medicine in the future, you will stand in good stead for a hospital HCA job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Get a HCA job in a hospital, you'd learn a lot more both clinically and with regards to what working for the NHS is like. Most entry level HCA jobs offer training at the start of employment and having done A-Levels already, with plans to study medicine in the future, you will stand in good stead for a hospital HCA job.
    Ohh okay thanks for the info! Do I need work experience before applying for this job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    Ohh okay thanks for the info! Do I need work experience before applying for this job?
    Might vary from trust to trust, but usually preferred and not necessary.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    Not really, most trusts are short on staff anyway and they would be very keen to take on people who wanted to do medicine (if you explained this to them). Nursing students, for example, are well known for filling vacant HCA posts. Plus you get paid!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.