Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thought that this might put some restless applicants to... rest? (bad phrasing, I know)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1066560

My comments:
    - Average offer holder has 6 or 7 A*s at GCSE, along with 2 or 3 As. That makes 6A*3A or 7A*2A the average grade. Bear in mind that this includes all candidates, so both those with mitigating circumstances, and those with... the opposite (who hail from good fee-paying schools).

- Offerholders seem to be split fairly evenly between having 3 and 4 A-levels. Is taking 4 A-levels an advantage? Difficult to tell from this figure alone, as the average applicant also had 3.5 A-levels to show.

- The average offer holder has 3.5 A-levels, and is predicted something akin to A*A*A (or a bit higher). Only a 2% of offer holders are predicted Bs or Cs at A-level in any of their subjects.

- IB predicted grades are spookily high - the average offer being given to a 42? **** me.

- Offer rate hovers around the levels it did in past years - 17.6% in the last cycle, specifically. In the document, this is expressed as 5.67 applicants per offer.

- About 60% of offerholders firm the LLB at LSE. The rest? Probably off to one of Oxbridge or UCL/Durham, from my anecdotal experience on this forum.

- Note that getting the offer isn't a guarantee that you'll get your place! 291 offerholders firmed the university, with 158 meeting their offer and 98 missing it (note that this only adds up to 256 - where the difference went is as much your guess as mine). That's 34% of people who firmed the course missed their offer. Not great.

- Don't be optimistic if you do miss your offer. While Econ-related courses have shown some leniency for people who miss their offer but exceed it in other ways, the data shows that just one person missed their offer but was given a place. The usual arguments about universities wanting to boost student numbers (and income?) don't seem to apply to this course.

ReputationRep:
    Rest in peace, us.

If the School has many more applicants than usual this year (which, given their responses to emails and their inconsistent activity, may be the case), I suppose we can expect a very sudden dip in the offer rate.

I'm hoping that they're just a bit unorganised rather than being flooded with applications, though.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not applying to law but another course. I suspect this data (and any statistics about admission to LSE) may not give the full picture since LSE have an emphasis on personal statements, and whilst there may be a large correlation with grades and quality of personal statements, it's possible that a considerable number of ppl with weaker grades but an amazing PS get in. That is purely speculation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terratra)
    Rest in peace, us.

If the School has many more applicants than usual this year (which, given their responses to emails and their inconsistent activity, may be the case), I suppose we can expect a very sudden dip in the offer rate.

I'm hoping that they're just a bit unorganised rather than being flooded with applications, though.
    They've made their admissions team smaller (this has been the case for a couple of years now), so don't worry! The number of applicants seems to have gone up a bit since 2014 (back them it was 2500, if I remember correctly), but, then again so has the offer rate.

(Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not applying to law but another course. I suspect this data (and any statistics about admission to LSE) may not give the full picture since LSE have an emphasis on personal statements, and whilst there may be a large correlation with grades and quality of personal statements, it's possible that a considerable number of ppl with weaker grades but an amazing PS get in. That is purely speculation though.
    Entirely possible, even though we don't know how the applications are sorted through.

Are grades treated as a cut-off, with applicants who successfully pass that stage being assessed entirely on the basis of their P.S.? Or is the P.S. just another aspect of one's application? I would imagine the latter, given all of the talk of judging applications 'holistically', and therefore presumably not putting an unreasonably amount of emphasis on just one aspect of the application.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this thread more than a month and a half later - they've replied to my follow up question.

The TL;DR is that the average offer holder has 3.5 A-levels, and is predicted something akin to A*A*A (or a bit higher). Only a 2% of offer holders are predicted Bs or Cs at A-level in any of their subjects.

The usual caveats about grades + the importance of the p.s. apply!

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1086288

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 20, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.