Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduate LLB from BPP - How to do the NY Bar exam? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have completed the GDL from BPP, and completed an additional 60 credits to obtain the Graduate LLB from BPP.

I'm curious as to what I'd need to do now if I wanted to do the NY Bar exam. I'm quite sure the GDL and Graduate LLB (less than three years) are not sufficient.

Would completing an LLM from an ABA-approved U.S. university be enough?

I've looked at the NY Bar Exam website for foreign legal education http://www.nybarexam.org/Foreign/For...lEducation.htm and was thinking about completing the online foreign evaluation to be sure, but I'm not sure if the rules 520.6(b)(1) or (2) apply to me, or what all of the requested documents are (only the transcript and degree certificate are clear to me).

I'd be grateful if anyone is able to clarify this information for me!

Many thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by lawfulllama)
    Hello!

I have completed the GDL from BPP, and completed an additional 60 credits to obtain the Graduate LLB from BPP.

I'm curious as to what I'd need to do now if I wanted to do the NY Bar exam. I'm quite sure the GDL and Graduate LLB (less than three years) are not sufficient.

Would completing an LLM from an ABA-approved U.S. university be enough?

I've looked at the NY Bar Exam website for foreign legal education http://www.nybarexam.org/Foreign/For...lEducation.htm and was thinking about completing the online foreign evaluation to be sure, but I'm not sure if the rules 520.6(b)(1) or (2) apply to me, or what all of the requested documents are (only the transcript and degree certificate is clear to me).

I'd be grateful if anyone is able to clarify this information for me!

Many thanks
    Contact them, but I would expect it to be insufficient as well. Its not a real LLB just a marketing exercise. I would put money on the fact is it will not be acceptable and would be refused (as it should be). The last time I looked it was a full three year law degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you will need a three year law degree to take the NYB.

I don’t think the LLM will be sufficient, as that will only be 2 year when combined with your GDL.

If you are looking to work in the US you will really need a JD and the right to work in the US, as well as passing the bar exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.