username3066924
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone
I am taking ICT 9626 as an a-level subject and I do not have enough resources, please can anyone help me by sharing theirs.
It would mean a lot to me, thanks.

To be precise, I do not have notes on a sub-topic - encoding.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
username3066924
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Alright will do, thanks
username2817576
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Encoding is transforming the data from one format into another. It can include shortening, symbol replacement or abbreivations.
Encoding is not the same as cryptography
The aim of encoding is not to increase security.

pros/advantages:
-Less memory requirement: storing less information, tehrefore lessmemory is required (since encoding is about shortening the data/information)
-security: if the codes are not apparant then itis difficultto know and udnerstand the meaning of the codes.
-speedof input: the codes take less time to enter, therefor it is quicker to input a large volume of data
-data validation:since the codes follow a strict set of numbers and letters they are easy to validate.
organisations of data: if the data is in a standardised format then it can be comapred and organised.

cons/disadvantages:
-the precision of data is coarsened
-encoding of value judgements
-the user needs to know the codes used: the codes cannot be sued if the user does not know them.
-there are a limited number of codes
-it is difficult to track errors

encoding:
http://www.teach-ict.com/as_a2_ict_n...iweb/index.htm

heres a site that is good for revision

http://www.teach-ict.com/as_a2_ict_n...G061_home.html
username3066924
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kayeen)
Encoding is transforming the data from one format into another. It can include shortening, symbol replacement or abbreivations.
Encoding is not the same as cryptography
The aim of encoding is not to increase security.

pros/advantages:
-Less memory requirement: storing less information, tehrefore lessmemory is required (since encoding is about shortening the data/information)
-security: if the codes are not apparant then itis difficultto know and udnerstand the meaning of the codes.
-speedof input: the codes take less time to enter, therefor it is quicker to input a large volume of data
-data validation:since the codes follow a strict set of numbers and letters they are easy to validate.
organisations of data: if the data is in a standardised format then it can be comapred and organised.

cons/disadvantages:
-the precision of data is coarsened
-encoding of value judgements
-the user needs to know the codes used: the codes cannot be sued if the user does not know them.
-there are a limited number of codes
-it is difficult to track errors

encoding:
http://www.teach-ict.com/as_a2_ict_n...iweb/index.htm

heres a site that is good for revision

http://www.teach-ict.com/as_a2_ict_n...G061_home.html
Thank you so much, I've checked the website it really helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads