Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my background is I got a C at GCSE, this was 7/8 years ago. The thing is I wouldn't say it's really indicative of what I can really achieve, since I was awful at school, I really didn't work at all. I've obviously since changed, hence taking a course with the Open University. I'm just worried that if I take MST124 I will have huge knowledge gaps that I'll be expected to know. But at the same time, I want to get the most out of my course, since it's one or the other. Does MST124 assume my maths is up to A level standard? Are there resources available to bring me up to the required level? I don't start that module until October next year, so I have some time to prepare for it. The rest of the course is Computing and IT, but I figure I should take my maths as far as I can since it's important for the field and would especially help me to understand the algorithms, data structures and computability module.

Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbob1141)
    So my background is I got a C at GCSE, this was 7/8 years ago. The thing is I wouldn't say it's really indicative of what I can really achieve, since I was awful at school, I really didn't work at all. I've obviously since changed, hence taking a course with the Open University. I'm just worried that if I take MST124 I will have huge knowledge gaps that I'll be expected to know. But at the same time, I want to get the most out of my course, since it's one or the other. Does MST124 assume my maths is up to A level standard? Are there resources available to bring me up to the required level? I don't start that module until October next year, so I have some time to prepare for it. The rest of the course is Computing and IT, but I figure I should take my maths as far as I can since it's important for the field and would especially help me to understand the algorithms, data structures and computability module.

Thanks.
    Work through the maths skills book and see how much you can do. You can also try the are you ready quizzes.

MU123 is broadly similar to GCSE, so if you've already passed GCE maths (which you have) then you'll likely find it too easy. MST124 is A Level standard, so it's not assuming you are already A Level standard but will be taking you to that level by the end of the module. So if you're willing to put in a bit of work before the course starts, you should be fine with MST124 - you'll need to refresh your skills with GCSE topics. But if you feel you can't or don't remember any of it, MU123 might be better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.