Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I should have started year 2 of my "MChem with yr in industry" course this sept. A bunch of mistakes and confusion about finance leaves me now enrolled into uni but not onto my course-meaning from sept til now ive had no material online and not moved up to uni to attend. Ive been 'STRONGLY recommended' I start year 2 next year instead of this year but either is possible. Im not entirely sure why but i assume the person believes i cannot do well enough?
    Starting year 2 next year eliminates the chance of the year in industry-at least some of my funding for this year will be wasted so i think im left with 3 year degree programme which does not include a year in industry. I am wondering if there's a way of financing the 4 year programme but dont know where ill be for the placement so cant guarantee ill have enough funding anyway.

What do you think I should do?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by copyme)
    Hi
    I should have started year 2 of my "MChem with yr in industry" course this sept. A bunch of mistakes and confusion about finance leaves me now enrolled into uni but not onto my course-meaning from sept til now ive had no material online and not moved up to uni to attend. Ive been 'STRONGLY recommended' I start year 2 next year instead of this year but either is possible. Im not entirely sure why but i assume the person believes i cannot do well enough?
    Starting year 2 next year eliminates the chance of the year in industry-at least some of my funding for this year will be wasted so i think im left with 3 year degree programme which does not include a year in industry. I am wondering if there's a way of financing the 4 year programme but dont know where ill be for the placement so cant guarantee ill have enough funding anyway.

What do you think I should do?
    Thanks in advance.
    I dont understand what the issue with your finance is?

1. assuming it is your first degree, you should receive finance for the whole length of your degree, regardless of the length (+ 1 year for you to either resit a year or change degree course before year 2)

2. You may have to pay some tuition fees for the year in industry but these are covered by student finance, you dont get a maintenance loan though so should aim for a paid year in industry

3. A year in industry makes life a whole lot easier when applying for jobs (and you may even get a job offer from the placement), unless you plan on doing multiple summer internships there is no reason someone shouldnt do a year in industry, it makes you much more employable than most students that dont have them

The only people I know who currently have grad job offers either did a summer internship (but the company didnt offer a YII) or did a year in industry, everyone else is having to go through the lengthy process now while doing their final year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.