The Student Room Group

I'm emotionally unstable

Not sure if this belongs in mental health or relationships but I guess this refers to my relationships with other people so I'm just gonna leave this here.Basically anyone that knows me wouldn't exactly describe me as emotional, but in my deepest most inner thoughts I'm exactly that. I don't know why but I've always appreciated acts of kindness a lot. Like one day I didn't have any change and a bus driver let me ride the bus for free. Something like that has resonated with me for life, even though I'm sure the bus driver has not thought about it once since it happened. Basically I moved schools last year and I was abit nervous because I was moving during the final school year. Friendship groups would already have been formed. I'm a fairly uninteresting person so I'm sure most people in their final year would rather spend it with their friends who they've known for years some even since the age of 3. To my surprise collectively everyone made a real effort to make me feel at home get to know me and make sure that I enjoyed the school year and that's something I've really appreciated. I got invited to parties, some of them gave me lifts home and there was one kid who always looked out for me and made sure that I was always ok. The teachers as well were equally kind and they made my last year in school one of the most enjoyable. Now heres the problem..... A year on since I finished school and I get really emotional like really emotional thinking about them and how kind they were to me. At times it makes me cry and I don't think they will ever understand how much I love them and appreciate all that they did for me in the final year of school. Most of them would not think that I'm the type of guy to get so emotional. They really don't understand the magnitude of what they did for me and it's a testament to how there parents raised them. I feel like no matter what I do I could never repay the debt of kindness they showed me. On my second day of school one boy gave me a lift home, I couldn't believe how kind they were. It's not as if I've been mistreated my whole life and these were the first people to be kind to me. In my old school there was a boy who again always listened to my problems and always tried to help when I went through a really bad patch when I was 13/14 and to this day I feel a huge gratitude towards him and get emotional thinking about how much his help meant to me. I don't know why I get so emotional thinking about these things, but it's always been a problem for me. I think I somehow love people too much? No one would ever know that talking to me though. I also suffer from nostalgic depression but that's another matter for another day. So this was my first reddit post and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to help me overcome these problems, would be much appreciated thanks 😃
Is there any way you can contact these people and tell them thank you and what it meant to you? I know I'd love to hear the difference I made to someone's life like that. Maybe on Facebook or if you have their numbers text them. I don't know how you can stop being so emotional (I'm pretty emotional too at times) but make sure you don't bottle it up. If you want to cry, then just let it out. You'll feel worse if you keep it bottled up.
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure if this belongs in mental health or relationships but I guess this refers to my relationships with other people so I'm just gonna leave this here.Basically anyone that knows me wouldn't exactly describe me as emotional, but in my deepest most inner thoughts I'm exactly that. I don't know why but I've always appreciated acts of kindness a lot. Like one day I didn't have any change and a bus driver let me ride the bus for free. Something like that has resonated with me for life, even though I'm sure the bus driver has not thought about it once since it happened. Basically I moved schools last year and I was abit nervous because I was moving during the final school year. Friendship groups would already have been formed. I'm a fairly uninteresting person so I'm sure most people in their final year would rather spend it with their friends who they've known for years some even since the age of 3. To my surprise collectively everyone made a real effort to make me feel at home get to know me and make sure that I enjoyed the school year and that's something I've really appreciated. I got invited to parties, some of them gave me lifts home and there was one kid who always looked out for me and made sure that I was always ok. The teachers as well were equally kind and they made my last year in school one of the most enjoyable. Now heres the problem..... A year on since I finished school and I get really emotional like really emotional thinking about them and how kind they were to me. At times it makes me cry and I don't think they will ever understand how much I love them and appreciate all that they did for me in the final year of school. Most of them would not think that I'm the type of guy to get so emotional. They really don't understand the magnitude of what they did for me and it's a testament to how there parents raised them. I feel like no matter what I do I could never repay the debt of kindness they showed me. On my second day of school one boy gave me a lift home, I couldn't believe how kind they were. It's not as if I've been mistreated my whole life and these were the first people to be kind to me. In my old school there was a boy who again always listened to my problems and always tried to help when I went through a really bad patch when I was 13/14 and to this day I feel a huge gratitude towards him and get emotional thinking about how much his help meant to me. I don't know why I get so emotional thinking about these things, but it's always been a problem for me. I think I somehow love people too much? No one would ever know that talking to me though. I also suffer from nostalgic depression but that's another matter for another day. So this was my first reddit post and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to help me overcome these problems, would be much appreciated thanks 😃

Hi! I do not have nostalgic depression. However I think the exact same way as you when it comes to little acts of kindness as they can become a massive act of kindness in the long run. In a way it makes us all realise that there are nice and kind people in the world, we just have low expectations of what they might be,do, or how they are towards us. Although, if you could try and contact your friend that would be great, as i know that when you leave school it can be quite hard to keep in contact even with a phone. But try your best, try Facebook, snapchat, instagram, whatsapp.. etc.. and just tell them that u really appreciate all their love, attention, and kindness to make u feel like I were 100% accepted into heir life's, and that cannot thank them enough. You seem like a lovely person, so keep up that caring nature. But I hope you get in contact with them again!x

Quick Reply

Latest