Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about personal statement from a Japanese student..! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm a high school student living in Japan thinking about taking a degree in Graphic design in the UK. I had never really thought about studying graphic design until recently so I changed my course to Art for my final year of high school. To be honest I am far from being good at art and have no experience at all when it comes to using a computer...

So.. my question is if its ok to state that: although I have minimal knowledge and have yet to acquire many skills, I am eager to start learning Graphic design.

Thank you in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by echomali)
    Hello! I'm a high school student living in Japan thinking about taking a degree in Graphic design in the UK. I had never really thought about studying graphic design until recently so I changed my course to Art for my final year of high school. To be honest I am far from being good at art and have no experience at all when it comes to using a computer...

So.. my question is if its ok to state that: although I have minimal knowledge and have yet to acquire many skills, I am eager to start learning Graphic design.

Thank you in advance!
    Well to put it quite frankly: you have complete a portfolio as well to show your artistic aptitude etc... and many art courses grade you primarily on the quality of your portfolio and personal statement... if you are far from good at art, it might be difficult for you to gain entry into an art course. - If you are just being humble: sorry.

If you are doing a degree in graphic design, it is recommended you at least have some experience in the subject and not go in completely blind: so saying you are going to start to learn graphic design may not be the best way to put it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    !
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Well to put it quite frankly: you have complete a portfolio as well to show your artistic aptitude etc... and many art courses grade you primarily on the quality of your portfolio and personal statement... if you are far from good at art, it might be difficult for you to gain entry into an art course. - If you are just being humble: sorry.

If you are doing a degree in graphic design, it is recommended you at least have some experience in the subject and not go in completely blind: so saying you are going to start to learn graphic design may not be the best way to put it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the advice! I will try and learn as much as possible so I can at least state that I am experienced in some parts of design..!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.