Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I go to uni it'll be 3 months until I turn 18 (Nov 21), will it be harder making friends during freshers? If I get a fake ID will it be easy to see through?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabbyib)
    When I go to uni it'll be 3 months until I turn 18 (Nov 21), will it be harder making friends during freshers? If I get a fake ID will it be easy to see through?
    Just out of interest how are you going to uni a year before anyone else? If you will be 17 turning 18 that would normally imply you are in your second year of A-levels? So just out of interest how have you managed to skip a year?

Secondly, if you are 17 that will mean that you can't buy alcohol or go to clubs or do a lot of what goes on in freshers week. While I would strongly advise you don't get a fake ID, I can understand if you do get one.

But mainly it comes down to maturity. 18-year-olds are immature as it is, so people might be put off by having a 17-year-old around. But if you are a mature person it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I’ll be in the same case (25th November) as in france they sort the classes from January to December but in the uk its September to August. So whilst I was in the uk iwas the oldest in my class but now in France I’m one of the youngest. Anyway I’m not quite sure what I’ll do, I’m not going to get a fake ID but I hope it doesnt stand as a barrier...

ReputationRep:
    I skipped year 4 so it was a long time ago, just hope it doesn't affect me too much when I get to uni

ReputationRep:
    Some Unis state that you have to be 18 when the course start and I knew of someone who’s uni let them in when they were 17 but they had to sign a document which states they wouldn’t drink or they would be removed from the uni

ReputationRep:
    Forget the fake ID, there just isn't the market for them in the UK so you won't find one and if you do get one it will be considered as a much more serious offence.

Some unis will allow anyone with a student card into their uni pubs and nights out, and they don't have different cards for under 18s, so you can still join in at these unis.

(Original post by Emily3434)
    Some Unis state that you have to be 18 when the course start and I knew of someone who’s uni let them in when they were 17 but they had to sign a document which states they wouldn’t drink or they would be removed from the uni
    I think this is very rare. For medical, social work, education and related courses I've seen them ask for you to be 18+, never seen that asked for any other courses though and I definitely haven't heard of the drinking rule. It's also not illegal for someone under 18 to drink, so they're overstepping their bounds quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Forget the fake ID, there just isn't the market for them in the UK so you won't find one and if you do get one it will be considered as a much more serious offence.

Some unis will allow anyone with a student card into their uni pubs and nights out, and they don't have different cards for under 18s, so you can still join in at these unis.

I think this is very rare. For medical, social work, education and related courses I've seen them ask for you to be 18 , never seen that asked for any other courses though and I definitely haven't heard of the drinking rule. It's also not illegal for someone under 18 to drink, so they're overstepping their bounds quite a bit.
    I mean it’s due to the unis not having insurance for minors and ye it’s not illegal to drink if you are on private property so

Look on the Exeter uni website, a well respected uni so you can kinda get the idea about rules

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/policy/under18/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.