Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Don't know how to approach a girl at my uni Watch

Ok so there's this girl at my uni and we both first years. I've never spoken to her but I've always wanted to, idk but I think I like her but yeah anyway she's in pretty much 90% of my classes but I'm not entirely sure what she's studying since it's a mixed class. We also live in the same building and occasionally we've been in the lift together but i don't have the balls to speak to her. I need help on how to approach her without being a creep about it, like how do I pass on a message that implies i like you but idk you that well so do you wanna hang out or like do you wanna be friends, something along that line.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you start off with small talk? You say you never spoke to her before, so you need to take things slow before you confess you like her! You could ask her something about classwork to spark off a conversation. After that, try to speak more to her, you could ask her more things like how has she found first year, what she did at the weekend, etc. By doing this, you will get to know her more and you can see if you truly like her.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so there's this girl at my uni and we both first years. I've never spoken to her but I've always wanted to, idk but I think I like her but yeah anyway she's in pretty much 90% of my classes but I'm not entirely sure what she's studying since it's a mixed class. We also live in the same building and occasionally we've been in the lift together but i don't have the balls to speak to her. I need help on how to approach her without being a creep about it, like how do I pass on a message that implies i like you but idk you that well so do you wanna hang out or like do you wanna be friends, something along that line.
    Thanks
    Sit beside her in a lecture, or when you are in the lift together, and just say hi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks
    I made this exact mistake and regret it heavily. Don't leave it too long, try and sit next to her in classes if possible, say hi when you see her. Since you're living in the same building, ask her if she likes it there, where she came from to go here, if it was nice there, if she prefers it here to at home etc. Innocent questions like these are a good way to go about it, if she appears nervous then back off just a little. If she repeatedly seems nervous, she's either just as introverted as you are or isn't too interested. Once you see her, say hi. Once you see her again in the same day, say "hi again" or something. Give a small and subtle smile as you walk past, like how friends do. Ask about her course and how it is going, what she did for A level etc.

If she seems interested, you've got the message across! Congrats! Do this sooner than later, don't go for anyone out of your league, unless you want disappointment and lots of sadness and just remember, the longer you leave this stuff, your chances of becoming something exponentially (and quite quickly) drop. She could find a guy pretty fast, she could end up in a nightclub and find a guy.

When it comes to asking her out to do stuff, well, that goes far beyond my experience. The best advice I can give is be casual about it and don't make it sound too serious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.