The Student Room Group

What do i do when i have 3 years left for my GCSE's?

Hi there,
Just wondering whether i could get any help on how to revise for any type of academic exams (Maths, Biology, Chemistry And Physics) and how do i revise today to make my life in the gcse's much easier, im aiming for a* in all my subjects and was wondering anyone who has completed them to help me, i would like a method that i dont need to work so hard on i just want to extract information from that piece of paper into my brain, i get 8's and 9's for all my main subjects,
And i havent chosen my GCSE subjects yet, however i already know what to choose.

Scroll to see replies

First thing I'd do is probably chill a bit because 3 years is a damn long time.... Enjoy being in lower years before GCSEs and A-levels hit you hard!
Original post by BrainBottled
Hi there,
Just wondering whether i could get any help on how to revise for any type of academic exams (Maths, Biology, Chemistry And Physics) and how do i revise today to make my life in the gcse's much easier, im aiming for a* in all my subjects and was wondering anyone who has completed them to help me, i would like a method that i dont need to work so hard on i just want to extract information from that piece of paper into my brain, i get 8's and 9's for all my main subjects,
And i havent chosen my GCSE subjects yet, however i already know what to choose.

It's great that you're being so diligent and wanting to get good grades in your GCSE's - what GCSE'S are you thinking of taking? I would say don't stress over them yet, just wait a couple of years until you properly start them otherwise when you do start to do them you're going to lose motivation. I'd say make sure you revise for all of your end of unit tests - make flashcards/mindmaps/watching videos on youtube or whatever works for you but I wouldn't really do much for your GCSE's at this time - have you started them yet? Because if you haven't there isn't much point revising and learning things which you might not need going forward if the spec you are doing for GCSE doesn't include them unless say for biology your going to need to know about things like photosynthesis etc... so you can just learn things about them anyway! Good luck :smile:
Original post by MagicalMedic
First thing I'd do is probably chill a bit because 3 years is a damn long time.... Enjoy being in lower years before GCSEs and A-levels hit you hard!

I really want to succeed in life, become someone one day, my dad passed away last year so i want prove myself good to my mum. ;-(
Gaining grades 8 and 9 in Year 8, I'm only guessing, is much easier. You will notice when you get into year 10 and you sit exams that you will come out with 4 and 5 because you will start all your GCSE topics and there is so much more information to learn. I make revision cards then I sit and read them a few times then try and say everything back that is on each one, or you can get someone to test you. You need to find something that suits you and you like. NEVER just sit and read your books, buy yourself revision books. I recommend Holder my revision notes as they are much more spread out than CGP books that your school will offer. They do cost more but at the end of the day it is worth it. But for now just enjoy your school life and enjoy the freedom because oncee you get into year 10 it will hit you. I am currently in year 11 and I am starting my mock exams tomorrow, I am smart but that has came for about 6 week preparation as these are the results that will go on applications and references for after year 11. Hope this has helped if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 5
Live your life. GCSE's aren't A Levels, you can chill the first few years. Year 10 is when you want to start getting your act together. For now, reelaaaaxxx
Original post by Lydia.Mx
It's great that you're being so diligent and wanting to get good grades in your GCSE's - what GCSE'S are you thinking of taking? I would say don't stress over them yet, just wait a couple of years until you properly start them otherwise when you do start to do them you're going to lose motivation. I'd say make sure you revise for all of your end of unit tests - make flashcards/mindmaps/watching videos on youtube or whatever works for you but I wouldn't really do much for your GCSE's at this time - have you started them yet? Because if you haven't there isn't much point revising and learning things which you might not need going forward if the spec you are doing for GCSE doesn't include them unless say for biology your going to need to know about things like photosynthesis etc... so you can just learn things about them anyway! Good luck :smile:

First of all, thank you so much for taking your time in replying!
Im in Year 9, and need help on revision... i guess ive already started my GCSE's
Original post by AlbabA
Live your life. GCSE's aren't A Levels, you can chill the first few years. Year 10 is when you want to start getting your act together. For now, reelaaaaxxx

Im just getting so stressed out, what if i dont get my gcse's ill just be a flop like everyone in my family. Im possibly the only one in my family to care for my education
Reply 8
I really want to succeed in life, become someone one day, my dad passed away last year so i want prove myself good to my mum. ;-(

You should definitely try to succeed in life, not only for significant others but for yourself. Being successful is not only about doing well in one event but is a continuous journey of self-improvement.

Therefore I'd argue don't think about doing well in GCSEs as a be all and end all. View every challenge in your life as important and work hard to achieve; once GCSEs are over there will be many many more things to work towards. Do well in GCSEs then do well in further education then continue to do well in whatever path your life takes you!
Original post by mansneverhot
Gaining grades 8 and 9 in Year 8, I'm only guessing, is much easier. You will notice when you get into year 10 and you sit exams that you will come out with 4 and 5 because you will start all your GCSE topics and there is so much more information to learn. I make revision cards then I sit and read them a few times then try and say everything back that is on each one, or you can get someone to test you. You need to find something that suits you and you like. NEVER just sit and read your books, buy yourself revision books. I recommend Holder my revision notes as they are much more spread out than CGP books that your school will offer. They do cost more but at the end of the day it is worth it. But for now just enjoy your school life and enjoy the freedom because oncee you get into year 10 it will hit you. I am currently in year 11 and I am starting my mock exams tomorrow, I am smart but that has came for about 6 week preparation as these are the results that will go on applications and references for after year 11. Hope this has helped if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for your reply! , im in Year 9 and im currently doing my first set of academic tests i really want to succeed in life and im getting really... stressed out. I just checked that revision notes thing you said and im going to start using that website thanks so much!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Looooool you need to enjoy school right now , ik it’s gotten harder but you’ve got 3 years, take it step by step. Your best years of school are during 7-10 since year 11 gets stressful. Cherish them years because your gonna miss them when you hit a levels
Reply 11
Im just getting so stressed out, what if i dont get my gcse's ill just be a flop like everyone in my family. Im possibly the only one in my family to care for my education

Bless, I was kidding. To be honest, Year 9 was my favourite year - literally no one worked the entire time. If you're not comfortable with that, by all means start to look over your content now. If you know the exam boards for each of your subjects, you can have a look at the specifications, and casually work your way through. But seriously, don't stress. Year 10 and 11 are where teachers expect you to take things seriously. If you start working too early, you're likely to burn yourself out when it really matters.
Hi there,

You can start revising in year 11 and come out with all A* just relax and enjoy it
Original post by xylas
You should definitely try to succeed in life, not only for significant others but for yourself. Being successful is not only about doing well in one event but is a continuous journey of self-improvement.

Therefore I'd argue don't think about doing well in GCSEs as a be all and end all. View every challenge in your life as important and work hard to achieve; once GCSEs are over there will be many many more things to work towards. Do well in GCSEs then do well in further education then continue to do well in whatever path your life takes you!

Thanks for your reply, that is true.
Thanks for all your replies xylas!
First of all, thank you so much for taking your time in replying!
Im in Year 9, and need help on revision... i guess ive already started my GCSE's

No problem! Oh okay sorry I didn't understand quite what you meant, we only started our english, maths, sciences and sciences in year 9 ! Oh then I would say revise for any EUT still so you have all those methods - I would recommend watching people like Primrose Kitten for science and maths & Mr Bruff for English on youtube as they have great questions and notes on different topics you need to learn about! I would also say maybe start learning small things like equations in physics just so you have a bank of them in your head which will help you in the long-run :smile:
Original post by AlbabA
Bless, I was kidding. To be honest, Year 9 was my favourite year - literally no one worked the entire time. If you're not comfortable with that, by all means start to look over your content now. If you know the exam boards for each of your subjects, you can have a look at the specifications, and casually work your way through. But seriously, don't stress. Year 10 and 11 are where teachers expect you to take things seriously. If you start working too early, you're likely to burn yourself out when it really matters.

Thanks for your reply, everyone in Year 9 is so competitive and its hard to keep up i guess, i stay until 5 in the evening with my maths teachers they help a lot! My exam board is AQA! for Maths it's Edexcel!
Original post by VirgoStrain
You can take some early if you want. Some people do that.

Our school doesn't allow that.
Ive asked several times but with no avail.

Ohhh. I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't worry too much! GCSEs are easy. It's just a night of revision before exam. JOKING, don't do that! But you've got a hell lot of time. Relax for now until A-Levels hit you harddd :biggrin:
Original post by Lydia.Mx
No problem! Oh okay sorry I didn't understand quite what you meant, we only started our english, maths, sciences and sciences in year 9 ! Oh then I would say revise for any EUT still so you have all those methods - I would recommend watching people like Primrose Kitten for science and maths & Mr Bruff for English on youtube as they have great questions and notes on different topics you need to learn about! I would also say maybe start learning small things like equations in physics just so you have a bank of them in your head which will help you in the long-run :smile:

I've taken a note of those youtuber(s), once again thank you for your helpful replies! I've got all my physics remembered its just biology and chemistry those are my weaknesses and english language paper 1 question 3 and 4 thats it i guess those are probably the things i need to improve on :smile:
Reply 19
Thanks for your reply, that is true.
Thanks for all your replies xylas!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest