Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At work my friend says it is, I personally enjoy talking and having a chat with people. At work for example if its like at the vending machine or in the kitchen I always have a chat with someone so long as they are a familier face and dont act arrogant I think its fine.

My friend says I should wait till they talk to me first and that talking to people is trying too hard.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redleader1)
    At work my friend says it is, I personally enjoy talking and having a chat with people. At work for example if its like at the vending machine or in the kitchen I always have a chat with someone so long as they are a familier face and dont act arrogant I think its fine.

My friend says I should wait till they talk to me first and that talking to people is trying too hard.
    If two people were waiting for the other to make the first move... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    there's nothing wrong with striking up a conversation with someone. i do it sometimes too even though i'm generally a shy person. especially if i'm familiar with the person, i feel like it's kind of rude to not say anything when you see them. so i'll ask them how they are doing and things like that.

if i know that someone is going through a difficult time with something in their life, i will make sure to ask them if they are ok and if they need any help. just showing genuine concern and things like that because i really do care about people.

as far as strangers go, i sometimes talk to them too....i was on the train yesterday and the girl standing in front of me had a very cute keychain so i told her that and we talked for like 10 minutes until we both had to get off at our stops lol but i mostly talk to girls though. i don't really strike up conversations with men i don't know.

so to answer your question, no it isn't weird to talk to people. it shows them that you care about them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.