Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have been living in the UK for the past 7 years (since Sept. 2010) and I am about to apply for university. I was wondering that will I be eligible for student loans? I am not a British citizen yet. Thank you for any help!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by sarcymate)
    Hello, I have been living in the UK for the past 7 years (since Sept. 2010) and I am about to apply for university. I was wondering that will I be eligible for student loans? I am not a British citizen yet. Thank you for any help!
    Student loans are only for UK and EU citizens. You will be treated as an Indian/ international citizen.

There is a category for those with settled status i.e those with indefinite leave tor remain.
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Settled

'Settled' means being both ordinarily resident in the UK and without any immigration restriction on the length of your stay in the UK. The regulations refer to immigration law for the definition of 'settled'.

If you have the Right of Abode (including those people who have this by virtue of a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode), or Indefinite Leave to Enter/Remain (ILE/R), in the UK, then you are 'settled'. If your passport describes you as a 'British citizen', then you also have the Right of Abode and are, therefore, settled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Student loans are only for UK and EU citizens. You will be treated as an Indian/ international citizen.

There is a category for those with settled status i.e those with indefinite leave tor remain.
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Settled

'Settled' means being both ordinarily resident in the UK and without any immigration restriction on the length of your stay in the UK. The regulations refer to immigration law for the definition of 'settled'.

If you have the Right of Abode (including those people who have this by virtue of a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode), or Indefinite Leave to Enter/Remain (ILE/R), in the UK, then you are 'settled'. If your passport describes you as a 'British citizen', then you also have the Right of Abode and are, therefore, settled.
    I am aware of that but there is an option for long residents. It's for people who have lived here for 7 years. But what I don't get is it also says you have to be under 18 at the start of the course. I just don't get how can you be under 18 at the start of the course?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by sarcymate)
    I am aware of that but there is an option for long residents. It's for people who have lived here for 7 years. But what I don't get is it also says you have to be under 18 at the start of the course. I just don't get how can you be under 18 at the start of the course?
    Oh I see. I believe it just means you need to have started your residence period when you were under 11. If so you can apply for ILR if its unreasonable for you to return to India.

You should talk to SFE or an immigration adviser.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.